Connecting Samsung A53 mobile to TVy

Nigel52

Visit site
I have a non-smart tv on the boat with no aerial. I would like to connect my phone to it most likely hard wired using tv hdmi connection on tv. There is no wifi so can’t use chromecast as a connection method. My phone a Samsung A53 5g does not offer certain video out connections. I’m told there is a way but as yet nothing has worked. Basically wish to use the he tv screen as a larger screen than my phone for viewing charts, streaming tv etc. Anybody got any bright ideas please?

Tzu

Visit site
I have a non-smart tv on the boat with no aerial. I would like to connect my phone to it most likely hard wired using tv hdmi connection on tv. There is no wifi so can’t use chromecast as a connection method. My phone a Samsung A53 5g does not offer certain video out connections. I’m told there is a way but as yet nothing has worked. Basically wish to use the he tv screen as a larger screen than my phone for viewing charts, streaming tv etc. Anybody got any bright ideas please?
I'm certainly no expert and not tried it myself but this is £11 on Amazon uk..1654801931253.png

edit.. £12. must read before posting

ashtead

Visit site
I use something which looks much like that (same make) on my iPad -has an hdmi for tv end and type c for iPad Pro but clearly it depends on the type of socket on a Samsung. I assume Samsung has a type c usb much like a google phone.

Bilgediver

Visit site

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Macbook-Samsung/dp/B09P9SDWQ5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=LBTV82C7P0U1&keywords=type+c+to+hdmi&qid=1654803950&sprefix=type+c+to+hdmi,aps,280&sr=8-4

Last edited:

Tzu

Visit site
I use something which looks much like that (same make) on my iPad -has an hdmi for tv end and type c for iPad Pro but clearly it depends on the type of socket on a Samsung. I assume Samsung has a type c usb much like a google phone.
Sorry, insider knowledge, my Samsung A52 has type C

Rappey

Visit site
Mhl adapter. It can go usb/usb or hdmi. Often has integrated power lead for phone.

kwb78

Visit site
The A53 doesn't support MHL unfortunately, and it only supports USB 2.0 despite having a USB-C port. It may be possible to get a display adaptor for it, but I don't know if it supports HDMI directly. It would require some research to find one that's compatible as a generic USB-C to HDMI dongle isn't guaranteed to work.

Nigel52

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies.
1. straight C to hdmi adapters don’t work tried them.
2. Chromecast as mentioned in my original post won’t work without wifi
3. Using my phone as a wifi hotspot is a possibility but then the phone cannot be used to stream other things like Netflix, bbc iPlayer etc. Need a second phone to do that.
It seems the mid range Samsung phones like the A53 5g do not support the all important MHL video protocol. It does seem that some sort of display adapter is required. Just need to find one that works.

Rappey

Visit site
Read a few posts on samsung forum and there appears no solution to the lack of mhl support.
Lesser models do have mhl support ?
A new cello 12v smart tv and phone ?

pandos

Visit site
I don't have a Samsung but I did experiment with mirror-cast to share the screen with a tv. I used a chrome cast and a portable wifi source...It was cumbersome so I gave up and just got a bigger tablet....