Confused Seas

Visit site
So caught out by a unexpectedly blowy afternoon (28kts vs 16 forecast), we found ourselves having an exciting and wet ride through boiling seas between Orford Haven and Harwich yesterday (Monday) aftenoon. Wind over tide so short steep waves were not unexpected but they seemed to be coming in all directions! We motored the whole way, not wanting to risk a stint at the mast and the boat was fine (28' Twister) but it wasn't comfortable.
So the question: Would it have been any better further offshore? I was hogging the 5m contour most of the way down the coast, Wadgate Ledge, Felixstowe Ledge, Platters ... shortest route but possibly not the flattest? Would going out a bit deeper smoothen things out any? Or at least lengthen the wavelength?

Habebty

Visit site
Just had a bit of a “dusting” between Dungeness and Eastbourne with much higher than forecast winds so not limited to home waters. Had a lovely sail from Dover and glided past Dungeness with the tide and it all went downhill from there :rolleyes:

pks1702

Visit site
The area you outline has a bit of a reputation with the overfalls off Orford and generally shallower water on the track you were on (which I tend to use). I have gone outside the Whiting Bank and much further out and found not a huge difference. I guess you were running with the flood but wind over tide can make that area very unpleasant.

People talk about the Wallet (Vomit Alley) but have to say I found the area you outline to be even more unpleasent in a blow.

TNLI

Visit site
So caught out by a unexpectedly blowy afternoon (28kts vs 16 forecast), we found ourselves having an exciting and wet ride through boiling seas between Orford Haven and Harwich yesterday (Monday) aftenoon. Wind over tide so short steep waves were not unexpected but they seemed to be coming in all directions! We motored the whole way, not wanting to risk a stint at the mast and the boat was fine (28' Twister) but it wasn't comfortable.
So the question: Would it have been any better further offshore? I was hogging the 5m contour most of the way down the coast, Wadgate Ledge, Felixstowe Ledge, Platters ... shortest route but possibly not the flattest? Would going out a bit deeper smoothen things out any? Or at least lengthen the wavelength?

Yes, deep water reduces the cross swell and freak wave risk, in fact it is nearly as important as the current. The film, "The Perfect Storm", is correct as one wave was detected that registered over 90ft on a recording bouy that is anchored in the middle of the Flemish cap, a fairly shallow bank.

Never trust a weather forecast in wind stregth terms, and always have a plan B in route or diversion terms if the forecast turns out to be total twaddle, like the famous BBC forecster who lost his job after saying a developing secondary low was just going to be a typical gale, when it turned into a typical hurricane.

The Twister is one wonderful classic sloop and it sails exceptionally well.

Last edited:

Juan Twothree

Visit site
like the famous BBC forecster who lost his job after saying a developing secondary low was just going to be a typical gale, when it turned into a typical hurricane.

To be fair it wasn't an actual hurricane in the true sense, it was a depression with hurricane force winds. The forecasters correctly predicted how the low would develop, what they got wrong was the track it would take.

And no, as previously mentioned, he didn't lose his job.

Visit site
Yes, deep water reduces the cross swell and freak wave risk, in fact it is nearly as important as the current. The film, "The Perfect Storm", is correct as one wave was detected that registered over 90ft on a recording bouy that is anchored in the middle of the Flemish cap, a fairly shallow bank.

Never trust a weather forecast in wind stregth terms, and always have a plan B in route or diversion terms if the forecast turns out to be total twaddle, like the famous BBC forecster who lost his job after saying a developing secondary low was just going to be a typical gale, when it turned into a typical hurricane.

The Twister is one wonderful classic sloop and it sails exceptionally well.
Exactly - I was wondering if the ledges and the proximity to the coast could be making the conditions worse. I've read how clearing the continental shelf off Biscay can produce much more manageable swells and wondered if there might be a similar, albeit much much much smaller, effect to be enjoyed off the Suffolk coast. Mind you you'd have to sail out a fair distance to find even 10m depth!
The Twister was, I'm glad to report, well capable. Spooning great gobfuls of water at the cockpit from her foredeck. It wasn't wave height that was the problem more the wavelength and the random directions. Height was probably no more than 1m but the waves were all over the place. Felt like being in a race - but you can typically sail around races.
Conditions eased noticeably as the tide turned , by which time we had reached Rolling Ground. (Which as the moniker suggests is often bumpy)
Certainly worse than anything I've experienced in the Wallet.

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi S & T,

As you just pointed out, your inshore route took you past Rolling Ground buoy - that and the nearby Pitching Ground buoy were named for good reason. However, if you avoid using the shipping channel into Harwich, getting further off shore makes the Orford - Harwich passage much longer.

Fortunate for you that you were jn a Kim Holman boat.

Peter.