Cobra Seamaster 45 Motoryacht

Fire99

Visit site
Hi all,

Here's an interesting one. I've not long since watched a 10 minute review from Motorboat and Yachting of the new Cobra Seamaster 45. It's built in Poland and starts at just 269k Euro + vat (for the single engine model) which is pretty impressive value..

Now, other than Hugo's somewhat 'staccato' presentation style , what is interesting is that it is stated as a full displacement boat that will do 20 odd kts if you put the twin large engines on her. Someone here may answer this one. I was always of the belief there were basically three main hull types. Planing (Flat bottom), Semi-Displacement (somewhat keeled hull that flattens at the rear to allow lift with enough power) and Full Displacement (the 1.35 ratio) which even with a bucket of power won't push too much beyond its waterline speed.. (Nordhavn springs to mind).
I raised this with Cobra and they state that it is a Displacement hull (not semi-displacement) but tested with big engines pushed in the region of 20kts..

Howeth that worketh?

Greg2

Visit site
Just had a quick look at the video here and at 1.12 mins in the hull is shown and as you say, is referred to as being a displacement hull but what you see is something that looks very shallow and quite flat on the aft sections.

If I saw it with no commentary I would be thinking planing hull, possibly semi-displacement with the keel (which you can’t really see too clearly in the video) but it doesn’t look much like a displacement hull. I guess that the flat-ish sections aft mean that with enough power it does lift and get past hull speed. If it does then calling it a displacement hull isn’t an accurate description.

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Saw this at Dusseldorf. Um, what can I say. It’s cheap for a reason. And that price is the 80-HP inland waterways version, single engine, which certainly won’t do 20 kts. Or indeed be usable without spending a lot more money on the essentials.

Fire99

Visit site
Just had a quick look at the video here and at 1.12 mins in the hull is shown and as you say, is referred to as being a displacement hull but what you see is something that looks very shallow and quite flat on the aft sections.

If I saw it with no commentary I would be thinking planing hull, possibly semi-displacement with the keel (which you can’t really see too clearly in the video) but it doesn’t look much like a displacement hull. I guess that the flat-ish sections aft mean that with enough power it does lift and get past hull speed. If it does then calling it a displacement hull isn’t an accurate description.
Interesting isn't it? I did say it looked like a semi-displacement hull but they weren't having any of it. I'm not sure how this hull differs from the standard semi-disp. model.

Fire99

Visit site
Saw this at Dusseldorf. Um, what can I say. It’s cheap for a reason. And that price is the 80-HP inland waterways version, single engine, which certainly won’t do 20 kts. Or indeed be usable without spending a lot more money on the essentials.
Yeah I saw the price was based on the 80hp inland waterways spec but I liked (from a distance) the basic layout. Obviously you seeing it in person would give you a much better perspective.