Cobra or Sea Wolf Owners, need advice.

Contest1

Visit site
Looks like I,m going to buy a Cobra 900 lying Spain were I cannot find a surveyor to check her out in the time scale set for completion.
I,v checked out above the waterline and all appears well.
I understand they are well built boats, heavy GRP layup, a bit like the Westerly Centaur I,v owned since 2004.
Web checks suggest the rudder can be prone to splitting allowing corrosion of the shaft.
Are there any hull or other common faults I should look out for when shes lifted out.
All advise welcome.

chewi

Visit site
Not sure what a cobra 900 is.

I was the founder of the Cobra and Seawolf owners group back in about 2000, I organised the rallies.
There were Cobras 700, 750 and 850, a few 1050's ( all in meters *100) and were all designs of David Feltham.
The Seawolf was also from David Feltham but they were called in ft length eg 26, 30.

I don't recall a Cobra 900.

The Cobra name was applied at some time to the Colvic 26 sailor,

The rudder problem of which you have read is common to quite a few brands, and I am not aware that it is more prevalent in Cobras than others.
The cause is supposedly that the rudder could be outsourced and Quality control was lost.
The failure is likely to be in the welds of mild steel tangs to the stainless shaft, moulded within the rudder allowing the whole rudder to then move around its shaft. It is generally repairable, but may need a lift to drop the rudder from its tube.
I had this with a Vivacity, but no sign of it in the 18yrs I have had my Cobra 750.

Seajet

Visit site
A chum, a very experienced sailor, has a twin keel Seawolf 26.

He's had the rudder problem to a mild degree, fairly easily sorted over one winter ashore.

Also had the keels off and re-seated them but I think that was purely down to the age of the boat, not any design issue.

He seems well pleased with her, though did once mention that when he took windows out the apertures were oversize and irregular, ie poor quality control behind the scenes.

KEEPO

Visit site
Hello,

Would you have anything to do with the current Seawolf/Cobra website? If not do you know who is dealing with it now please? Or indeed if there is another source...

Regards

langstonelayabout

Visit site
A friend with a Seawolf 26 once had a seacock crumble at his finger tips, less than 24 hours before being launched for the season. Moral: check your seacocks properly or replace them.

VicS

Visit site
Not sure what a cobra 900 is.

I was the founder of the Cobra and Seawolf owners group back in about 2000, I organised the rallies.
There were Cobras 700, 750 and 850, a few 1050's ( all in meters *100) and were all designs of David Feltham.
The Seawolf was also from David Feltham but they were called in ft length eg 26, 30.

I don't recall a Cobra 900.

According to my book there was a Cobra S900

All detail reads the same as a Seawolf 30, only 10 of which were built

Visit site
I have a Seawolf 30 which I have owned for 3yrs now. There are some different layouts inside B/K version is different from my fin keel one. The one I own was produced from the Marine Projects yard in Plymouth of which I know only a few were made. They are very strong and well built. The only places to look at are the chain plate security for strain and possible water ingress, also water into the rudder via the seal around the top of the rudder allowing water in and delamination of the fabric inside. All has been upgraded on mine. Strength is amazing and well built. Fractional rig gives a powerful fast boat.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
I have a Seawolf 30 which I have owned for 3yrs now. There are some different layouts inside B/K version is different from my fin keel one. The one I own was produced from the Marine Projects yard in Plymouth of which I know only a few were made. They are very strong and well built. The only places to look at are the chain plate security for strain and possible water ingress, also water into the rudder via the seal around the top of the rudder allowing water in and delamination of the fabric inside. All has been upgraded on mine. Strength is amazing and well built. Fractional rig gives a powerful fast boat.

Out of interest; were all of the fin keeled SW30s given that tandem winged keel, or were some of them conventional fin f
Keeled? I'm currently considering a SW30 but don't really want a boat with winged keel...

Visit site
Mine is a deep fin, fully encapsulated lead and cast iron from my survey report. If you pm me I can send a couple of photos. None of the 30 fins were winged from my understanding.