Cobra HH300 batteries

janda

Visit site
This handheld VHF will only charge it's own brand of batteries as there is a contact to the body of the battery at the side where the case is exposed. If I remove the plastic to make a contact and use a higher capacity battery will it cause charging problems? As it is a slow charger I really think this measure is only so the manufacturer can sell us overpriced replacement batteries ( Like the printer Oem ink cartridges .. don't ask!!)

pvb

Visit site
Doesn't the HH300 use AA-size rechargeable cells? If it does, these have standardised construction so there'd be no problem if you removed some outer insulation. There'd be no charging problems with higher capacity NiMH cells.

janda

Visit site
Yes it does and on reflection I think this arrangement is to stop people trying to charge ordinary alkaline cells in error as it could run off alkalines but if re-charged they could explode.

pvb

Visit site
I think you're right - that's the only reason I could think of. The standard cells are 1500mAh, so you could get a bit more duration by using higher capacity ones - I've seen them up to 2700mAh.

jwilson

Visit site
I've got one of these and I hadn't noticed this - you are quite right about the charging current going to the side of the battery! I see no probelme with substituting another NiMh battery though as long as you remove the insulation from the end.