Cobb Barbeques

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
Great bit of kit. Re zip, WD 40 has kept my zip worry free for 5 years. If you have a Weber, you'll know how to use a Cobb. Try a leg of pork on it the best tasting piece of pig you'll ever eat. i promise.

Would never do without it.

SeaUrchin9

Visit site
Great thread, was thinking about upgrading the two burner gas stove to a plastimo oven but after reading this I don't think I'll bother! Like the fact that is it fuel independent and cool to touch - think this along with a compact pressure cooker will cover all my cooking requirements now. cheers all

Harbourlight

Visit site
Had never heard of a Cobb before, till I read all this and then googled it. Ordered one yesterday, it arrived today and we had our first meal tonight. Nothing was burnt. We are converted and can't decide what to have tomorrow!

stranded

Visit site
Agree with other comments that it's more like an oven than a barbecue. Brilliant for larger joints, butterflied leg of lamb was the best as was chicken (baked whole in a sea salt crust) and fish in baking paper parcels. Not so good for meat skewers, steaks or chops as it doesnt sear.

Zip corroded but so do loads of zips etc when left in an outside locker.. I thought it a faff to clean so sold it and currently looking for an alternative. This year just bought some disposable barbecues to enjoy a picnic on secluded beaches :encouragement:

Surprised at the 'doesnt sear' comment - last week when it was a bit iffy in Salcombe we used ours as a sort of Mongolian BBQ on the cockpit table - cut steaks etc into strips and people cooked their own - less than 1 minute per slice with the most beautifully seared striped outside and rare/blue as per individual preference on the inside. A new favourite way to cook. With a cobblestone btw.

mattlad

Visit site
I've got one of the original plastic bodied models which I have managed to overheat..... It is brilliant as an oven, I've never used it on the boat but I have used it plenty of times when i have been camping. It also works well as a barbeque but I found I needed a bit more trial and error before I got the best out of it.

Re cleaning it, I found it a bit of a pain in the ar.....errrrr..... backside until I tried a technique that was recommended to me :- line the moat with foil. You can get a couple or three uses out of it before you need to change the foil and it really does make cleaning up afterwards a lot easier.

A little birdy tells me that Cobb have started to market moat liners but I'm sure that foil is cheaper.

Last edited: