Clyde info

roblpm

Visit site
If I had a boat on the Clyde, not really a racer and can't afford carbon sails what would my annual casual racing schedule be......?!

And how racy does my imaginary boat need to be to at least join in?!

Best midweek evening casual racing?

West Highland week?

Any other passage racing?

Budget for boat 40k. Ie Westerly Storm, Moody 336, Maxi 1000, Hanse 341.

Need to be able to use the boat as a hotel for a week a month as well! And cruise for a week of 2 with 2-4 people.

Obviously this is the usual question of trying to solve many issues with a compromise but interested in what other people do!!

penfold

Visit site
For VFM and competitiveness it's hard to beat a Sigma 33; the accommodation is a bit primitive compared to those you've listed but then the average price is well under your budget and there's a steady supply of good used sails. If you mean casual = white sails only there are quite a few weekend events through the season as well as WHYW, although even in white sails there are few chequebook sailors toteing carbon sails:ROFLMAO:.

PeteCooper

Visit site
Moody 336 is a popular racer on the Clyde, but I have seen a wide range racing there. A small fleet races out of Kip on a Wednesday evening. Largs is Tuesday evening - the racing at Kip and Largs is run by Fairlie Yacht Club. I think that there is a more competitive fleet out of James Watt Dock and I think that's also on a Wednesday.
Holy Loch Sailing Club also has some mid week racing but I am not sure what day.

dunedin

Visit site
I am not a racer, but perhaps worth looking at the East Patch Racing for Wednesday evening races https://www.eastpatch.org.uk/index.php/Results

Certainly a Moody 336 is a popular choice for a good fast cruiser with great interior that is also reasonably compatible on the race course (but clearly not as fast as some of the dedicated race only boats).

Some others on here do race so hopefully will provide better insights

roblpm

Visit site
Thanks folks. Yes will look at Moody 336s. I think I am too young and soft to live on a Sigma 33 for a week at a time?!

Yes white sails might be good if not much crew! I envisage more taking my kids or whoever for a cruise with some buoys to go round!

Aha on East Patch results looks like Wednesday evening white sail handicap which might be fun! The handicap stuff looks a bit serious and I have tried to be competitive before but now I am much poorer post divorce that is not a good idea....! Maxi 1000 and Elan 333 in that fleet. Also looking good is an initial combo of JW dock in the winter and RNCYC mooring in the summer.

Seems like not such a crazy plan! A couple of longer day races and all will be good. And if I am sleeping on the boat and cant be bothered to organise it I expect I could crew on a Wednesday evening for fun!

awol

Visit site
RGYC that’s how the gentle people lived last century
launch service required to live with tides
I'm obviously still locked in the past and still enjoy my membership of RGYC! The launch service is a great - you are more than welcome to use your own dinghy - and tides are only a restriction for the club launches for a very short period on the lowest of springs. RGYC has a very healthy OD fleet of Etchells (well into the teens) and a Piper OD fleet but handicap racing has dwindled to almost non-existent. I and others are attempting to resurrect handicap yachts - so maybe?
East Patch racing is within easy range on Wednesdays as are all of the CCC events.

awol

Visit site
it a lousy place to keep a boat except for the club and it’s infrastructure !
I disagree with the term "lousy"! I can't argue that it is the most sheltered of anchorages, especially in NWesterlies, but the holding is good and the mooring contractors know what is needed. I am, of course, biased having sailed there since knee-high and now in my 8th decade. I much prefer a mooring to a marina - CO32s are not really marina friendly - and the boatman and launch more than balance the ease of walking aboard. The Ashton moorings offer easy access to the joys of the Clyde; one cannot ignore the cost aspect or the simple joy of saiiling off and on a mooring.

scottie

Visit site
I disagree with the term "lousy"! I can't argue that it is the most sheltered of anchorages, especially in NWesterlies, but the holding is good and the mooring contractors know what is needed. I am, of course, biased having sailed there since knee-high and now in my 8th decade. I much prefer a mooring to a marina - CO32s are not really marina friendly - and the boatman and launch more than balance the ease of walking aboard. The Ashton moorings offer easy access to the joys of the Clyde; one cannot ignore the cost aspect or the simple joy of saiiling off and on a mooring.
Being of a Similar vintage I would see your Gourock offerings and. raise you RNYC at Rhu.or keeping it simple Mcgruers at Clynder where we moored and raced in the evening races at RGYC

roblpm

Visit site
Well some great insights thanks. Seems eminently doable.

Lots of choices! Now just gotta find a boat….not a lot available. I suppose September is the time to buy and swallow the winter parking fees! I may be ready to pounce in the autumn!

roblpm

Visit site

penfold

Visit site
Thanks folks. Yes will look at Moody 336s. I think I am too young and soft to live on a Sigma 33 for a week at a time?!
Other than originally not coming with such luxuries as a fridge as standard when new and Marine Projects finishing being somewhat down to a price compared to Moody there's not much difference in liveability; the main difference is as a product of an earlier era the 33 does not have an aft cabin, but then you'll pay rather less for one than a 336 for a given condition and level of toys. Main advantage of a 33 is that if you do find the racing bug has bitten you have easy access to competitive one design racing, something not available to many other AWBs.

roblpm

Visit site
Other than originally not coming with such luxuries as a fridge as standard when new and Marine Projects finishing being somewhat down to a price compared to Moody there's not much difference in liveability; the main difference is as a product of an earlier era the 33 does not have an aft cabin, but then you'll pay rather less for one than a 336 for a given condition and level of toys. Main advantage of a 33 is that if you do find the racing bug has bitten you have easy access to competitive one design racing, something not available to many other AWBs.
The problem with getting into racing is that the time before I got a bit into it I couldn’t stop spending money…. sails, go faster antifouling etc. So whilst wanting the opportunity to do it a bit for fun i definitely don’t want to be competitive! Post divorce I can’t afford it! I want to race and guarantee that I will be in last place and just enjoy a leisurely purposeful cruise! I also don’t like organising racing crew so would rather just pootle around with whoever is available!

awol

Visit site
The problem with getting into racing is that the time before I got a bit into it I couldn’t stop spending money…. sails, go faster antifouling etc. So whilst wanting the opportunity to do it a bit for fun i definitely don’t want to be competitive! Post divorce I can’t afford it! I want to race and guarantee that I will be in last place and just enjoy a leisurely purposeful cruise! I also don’t like organising racing crew so would rather just pootle around with whoever is available!
I understand your position. The problem is that if you get into the Moody 336/Sigma 33 area - around 15.25 minutes in the CYCA system - you will be among the carbon sail, fenders on the pontoon, empty tanks, etc. wannabees. Get something a bit slower - around 18 minutes - and you are in with the stay on-board; pots, pans and full drinks locker; dacron sails; mongerel crew mob who share your ethos (or lack of it). Something like a Nic 35 or other old tub is ideal.