Clyde hospitality welcoming / Coronavirus

Skylark

Visit site
Just read the Campbelltown showers thread. Our first cruise of the season is w/c 7th June.

Likely marina visits will be Port Bannatyne, Rothesay, Largs, ELT, Portavadie etc. Also likely buoys around Arran.

Part of the pleasure of cruising the area is to enjoy the local hostelries.

Anyone have current experience? Are such places open and welcoming to visitors? Is walk-in possible or mandatory booking? Are Lateral Flow tests required? Tips and advice welcome.

Is the Otterferry pub open?

Many thanks.

Railbob

Visit site
I do know that all the showers and toilets are open in Portavadie, the restaurant looked pretty busy on Thursday night with the bar area also busy, we didn’t pop in for a beer as we were just up to fix a few things on our boat. As far as I’m aware no requirement for any form of testing is needed although I’m certain you need to book a table in advance.

D

Deleted member 36384

Friends were in Arran recently and they ate out, so eateries open there. I travel to / from my boat at Craobh by road and pass through a few Clyde coast small towns. This week, Tuesday and Thursday, when I last drove up, it was noticeable the eateries and bars were open with people sitting in and outside, staff serving food and drinks. Note that eateries have limited seating indoors because of spacing restrictions, also it is very busy with reports of self catering, caravan parks, motor home parks and camp sites full for most of the season now. Therefore, get bookings in or you may not get a seat.

The Scottish Government has recommend that visitors to the islands perform self testing 3 days and 1 day before travelling, each person, to protect communities. The logic extends to visiting small communities as well on the mainland. The reason is limited medical facilities and the disproportionate impact on small communities. Please do the tests and don't travel if you have a negative test result. You still have to register name and address in restaurants and they close earlier, slate night dining is not possible in a restaurant.

Otter Ferry Pub I don't know, but I got the ferry over last time and drove up the road where you would turn off to Otter Ferry. The Cowel Pensinula has lots of holiday areas and they were open as well as the pubs and restaurants, so it is likely that the Otter Ferry pub will be open.

Last edited by a moderator:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Likely marina visits will be Port Bannatyne, Rothesay, Largs, ELT, Portavadie etc. Also likely buoys around Arran.

Part of the pleasure of cruising the area is to enjoy the local hostelries.

Anyone have current experience?
Port Bannatyne marina is open, including the showers. However, the Port Inn has closed and I think the Anchor may have too, so currently no boozers there.

I wouldn't bother about a test for Bute unless you really enjoying sticking things up your nose. While technically an island it has so much traffic to and from the mainland, and is so handy for hospitals if needed, that it is effectively mainland itself, and quite well-connected mainland at that. Same for Cumbrae.

Skylark

Visit site
Thanks, JD,

.......just thinking about Cumbrae, what’s the state of the water sport centre pontoons? Since I retired, I did a few freelance courses there so have some fond memories.

Millport is a definite, if weather permits. I’m having a week with a couple of pals, both very experienced sailors but neither knows The Clyde.

Sounds like Port Bannatyne is off the list ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Sounds like Port Bannatyne is off the list ?
I've just checked, and Google says the Anchor Tavern is permanently closed. Blimey. No pup in the Port. When I used to go on holiday there as a child there were, as best as I can remember, five pubs and two off-licenses. Also a newsagent, two grocers (the off-licenses), a butcher and a fish and chip shop. Now all that's left is the post office and the pierhead café, which curiously hasn't gone bust and started up under optimistic new owners for a couple of years now.

alan_d

Visit site
... Please do the tests and don't travel if you have a negative test result...
I suspect BOB was undecided between "don't travel unless you have a negative result" and "don't travel if you have a positive result" and managed to blend the two. I'm sure we all know what he meant, though.