Closing uk marinas

Richard.C

Visit site
Must admit, I've sort of given up looking too hard for guidance on when we'll be allowed to stay on board again.

Are there any recent indications on when it will be official and proper to stay overnight ?

I think the best guess is when hotels open which is rumoured to be July, based on previous announcements it looks like we'll only really know the week before it happens.

Andrew M

Visit site
Thanks Richard, can't wait to get down there for a whole weekend. I'm lucky there's a webcam overlooking the marina that gives me a couple of great shots of the boat so at least I can regularly visually check the canopies, and tonneau etc.

Richard.C

Visit site
It's nice to have webcam that covers your boat.

I can't believe we'll be past the longest day of the year before we spend a night onboard:(

Croftie

Visit site
Has your marina opened berth holder toilet block facilities? I mean those that are for berth holders only ie via a code or swipe card etc rather than general public accessable ones.

Croftie

Visit site
They are in conwy , every other cubical.
Thanks, ours are firmly shut, I asked today if it was about time they were opened and they claimed the local council is refusing to let them open them up which I think is BS from either the council or the marina. I cannot find any cv19 regs to support this. After all if the council is letting schools open then they must be allowing toilet facilities there. Any other replies re other marina's welcome

Scubadoo

Visit site
Our MDL marina toilets are shut except for the public one. I think reason is the risk of cross contamination by berth holders and risk to cleaners etc, the public toilet is much smaller to keep clean I guess. No big deal for me as I use the boat facilities.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Our MDL marina toilets are shut except for the public one. I think reason is the risk of cross contamination by berth holders and risk to cleaners etc, the public toilet is much smaller to keep clean I guess. No big deal for me as I use the boat facilities.

MDL Northney were open last weekend. Only one urinal in use to keep the 2m spacing, but all cubicles open.

Croftie

Visit site
I am on the hard at the mo so it is a bit of a pain. There again as I undestand it MDL are giving some rebates on berthing charges so I suppose they can claim reduced facilities. No rebate/refunds from my marina has been offered.

andy59

Visit site
Toilets in Lymington have been open as soon as we were allowed back on our boats. Keeping them closed would be a pile of crap ( literally as happened on Bournemouth beach behind the beach huts), apart from touching the tap to wash your hands after a pee you touch nothing and a no2 only requires you to touch the door handle with your hand and the seat with your arse which as far as i know can't be reached with your mouth so i don't see where sensibly behaved people would contaminate themselves ?.

seapod

Visit site
Plymouth Yachthaven toilets and showers open, never closed in fact. But they do have the 'every other' principle in place. Its one way of solving the perpetual awkward middle urinal etiquette question!

alandalus11

Visit site
Toilets in Lymington have been open as soon as we were allowed back on our boats. Keeping them closed would be a pile of crap ( literally as happened on Bournemouth beach behind the beach huts), apart from touching the tap to wash your hands after a pee you touch nothing and a no2 only requires you to touch the door handle with your hand and the seat with your arse which as far as i know can't be reached with your mouth so i don't see where sensibly behaved people would contaminate themselves ?.
Logically thinking about it the virus can be spread through faeces as was discovered early on. Without being crude, someone has been to do a no2, wiped their botty, then potentially flushed the toilet with the same hand, then opened the door touching the door handle possibly with the same hand.
Andy goes in and touches the door handle that was touched by the hand that wiped the botty, that flushed the loo, after doing a oooohhhhh:p,
Andy then does his 2, flushes the loo, that was touched by the owner of the previous 2, touches the door handle to open the loo and so it goes on. Poor cleaner.

Safer behind the bike sheds.

Last edited:

alandalus11

Visit site
And then immediately washes his hands with soap and water presumably..!?
But whilst going to the loo, to do a no. two, he has touched the handle to close the door, dropping trousers to the floor, and by doing so the virus is on his hands and his trousers, so when wiping botty, the virus is passed onto the paper onto his botty as well as his trousers from the handle. The washing comes last as the no 2 is in the past, he washes his hands after his no 2 in the dirty loo so he's walked out the block back onto the dock, with clean hands but contaminated botty and trousers..

BruceK

Visit site
But whilst going to the loo, to do a no. two, he has touched the handle to close the door, dropping trousers to the floor, and by doing so the virus is on his hands and his trousers, so when wiping botty, the virus is passed onto the paper onto his botty as well as his trousers from the handle. The washing comes last as the no 2 is in the past, he washes his hands after his no 2 in the dirty loo so he's walked out the block back onto the dock, with clean hands but contaminated botty and trousers..

I'm pretty sure that the coronavirus route to infection does not include the anus. Mouth, nose and eyes yes as they all have pathways to the throat but if your punter got it from his ass then he probably deserves everything he gets.

andy59

Visit site
Just for clarification you understand, Hand sanitiser in pocket and used , wearing shorts, tissue paper or elbow used at all door handle interactions :)

bluetooth

Visit site
MDL Cobbs Quay toilets are open with social distancing measures in place, every other cubicle/urinal in use but showers shut? can't understand why showers would be shut but luckily I never have use of them as only live around the corner.

I imagine because mainly used by those wanting to stay overnight or have morning shower; both scenarios not permitted at present. Hopefully in first week of July if caravan parks open then all go again. But then again !! Let's hope RYA and other players including MDL are asking DEFRA the questions !