Closed season. An Inland Event?

FullCircle

Visit site
Who would like to join us in a Model Yacht Race, to be held at a venue as yet not even proposed.
I think we should look inland from Sussex to Warwickshire and all places East.

I am looking at a Saturday midday arrival, a Model Yacht Race on a local pond, lake, canal or river, followed by an evening dinner with Prizegiving, and stay over in the pub/hotel.
Sunday, after breakfast, a little local walk to clear the tubes, and off home again.

I am going to buy (a minimum of) 10 yachts from a Southend Seafront toy or novelty shop, whch will be sold at a profit to those who wish to join in, and the profit will go to the RNLI.
It might be a nice idea if we also had each boat sponsored by friends, family or other forumites to increase the haul of loot.

The boats will be sent by post to each entrant, and can be prepared in any way you see fit, barring any form of assisted propulsion. Therefore, although ostensibly a level handicap race, some reward in placings may be gained with tweaking the product. Suggestions for modification limitations are of course welcome.

I am now looking for venue suggestions, preferably with a web link so that peeps can go look and have their say.

Over to you lot.....

FullCircle

Visit site
Ecosse120,
Up to you the viewers, but I thought it might be nice if we eschewed the Coast areas for the Closed Season event, but then again, what do I know?

Sixpence

Visit site
I'm with you on that , I'm not an experienced boater , but when I'm near the coast I prefer it to be on a boat not playing with a toy , so somewhere inland suits me

CliveG

Visit site
Jim

Are you looking for a proper boating lake or an area of water near a hotel?

There is a lake that has been used for model yachting behind the Holiday Inn in Impington Cambridge.

It is just north of the Histon Junction on the A14.
That is one junction east of the M11/A14 junction.
You can see the lake from the east bound carriageway of the A14.
The banks of the lake a a bit steep so recovery of errant yachts may be a challenge.

We live the other end of the village and could make enquiries if it is what you are looking for.
If allowed by the owners of the lake, I may be able to provide a rescue craft.

Sixpence

Visit site
I'm having visions of half cut forumites sliding down the bank for some reason /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, sounds like one possible though

FullCircle

Visit site
Cooee! We were only saying last weekend that we hadn't heard from you lately.

I guess the water can be anything that we are able to launch the boats from, and get them back at the other end.

Prefer something that allows participants not to get wet if they are stability challenged.

Does this mean you are in?

CliveG

Visit site
Sorry to have been absent with out leave.

We have been busy playing with Sirenia.
We have her in Dartmouth for all of August.
She is up on the Norfolk Broads at the minute and we are going up each weekend.

I am interested in playing but I depends on when.
I am involved in delivering training for Marshals for the Wales Rally of GB and Time keeping on the event during November and early December.

Are these yachts radio controlled?
The lake would not be suitable for un-controled yachts as most of the bank is inassesable
In other ways the venue is very sutable as the lake is the other side of the fence around the hotel.

If the group are interested in using the lake I can make enquiries.

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
Im up for a meet and the Cambridge idea works well for me.

But....

Dave

are you getting carried away with those raggie thing

I would have thought we would have been much better suited using one of these [image]
DSCN0420.jpg
[/image]

Or one of these
[image]
DSCN0421.jpg
[/image]

Of course col-regs would still apply

Sixpence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But....Dave

are you getting carried away with those raggie thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif , never /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif , strike while the irons hot , or Louise is still up fot it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CliveG

Visit site
Re: Full Circle

Roger

No I do not have a mooring as such.

She is along side a friend's lawn.
He has a bungalow on the riverbank near Potter Higham.

I would be interested in a mooring for a few months next year if you have one available.

The bet was that I would have her on a full time mooring before the end of the year.

Sixpence

Visit site
Hi Bernie
no dates or venues decided yet but glad to see you found your way here , and I'll e mail you when the decisions near confirming in case you miss it
Cheers
Dave

Sixpence

Visit site
the link always helps , glad to see you found it , and as the least expeienced here but with the biggest gob I hope the meet goes ahead .

Jim , any advance on finding the best venue , suzys also quite close to the proposed one so is it looking good for all