Cleaning stains on a lifebuoy

tmtracey

Visit site
The horseshoe lifebuoy on my boat has some odd stains on it that are very difficult to remove with basic soap and water. They are like mottled brown- I think they may be from the exhaust.

What’s the best thing to clean these off?

Hopefully some photos are attached. 04812AC2-7075-4631-BD49-29BA6C531DD7.jpeg3594B878-4DF2-4EB0-9D6F-7670DBCDE593.jpeg4A9F7BCA-CCE3-4342-BBD2-987D4ED41540.jpeg

Plum

Visit site
The horseshoe lifebuoy on my boat has some odd stains on it that are very difficult to remove with basic soap and water. They are like mottled brown- I think they may be from the exhaust.

What’s the best thing to clean these off?

Hopefully some photos are attached.
I failed to get mine clean so bought new covers. New covers are the same price or only a little cheeper than a complete new lifebuoy but avoids a perfectly good foam core going to landfill.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

garymalmgren

Visit site
Hi tmtracey
RE: What’s the best thing to clean these off?

Unfortunately, that is UV damage that has permeated the whole covering.
It simply won't clean off.

Your choices are.

Live with it. (not very attractive)
Make a new cover from some bright coloured weather proof material.

Buy a new life buoy and ditch the old (maybe very old) one.

I would stow it below in a reachable location (cockpit locker) and live with it.

gary

2Tizwoz

Visit site
Hi tmtracey
RE: What’s the best thing to clean these off?

Unfortunately, that is UV damage that has permeated the whole covering.
It simply won't clean off.

Your choices are.

Live with it. (not very attractive)
Make a new cover from some bright coloured weather proof material.

Buy a new life buoy and ditch the old (maybe very old) one.

I would stow it below in a reachable location (cockpit locker) and live with it.

gary
There is always paint.

Refueler

Visit site
The matter of new covers ... I have new covers on two L/b's .... and one L/b is unused and sitting in the workshop. The other having sait in its pushpit holder - the cover has turned brittle, holes appeared .... I have applied extra reflective tape to patch it up ... but am afraid to go near the zip - for fear of it just shredding.
Its about 5yrs old.

Looks like new covers again.

tmtracey

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Think I've answered my own quesiton. After trying a few things, carb cleaner takes it off almost immediately. It must be the oily fumes from the exhaust condensing on the buoy above.

Martin_J

Visit site
With some spare acrylic canvas I thought I'd make some covers for mine to keep the sun off whilst away from the boat....

20230512_205337.jpg

They keep the sun off nicely. They only cover one side and have elastic around the edge...

20201105_152658.jpg

Strangely the white horseshoe lifebuoy gets just as mucky under the cover as it did without... :(

I'm wondering now if I should have just made a horseshoe shaped fitted cover that could have replaced the original.

Other threads that may be of interest