Chip and Trace

davel

Visit site
I received a flyer for this today - it seems to be a boat ID system for "assisting in the detection and potential return of stolen property". Claims to be based on the use of RFID tags.

I was interested to find out more so went to their web site which is no more than an empty page saying "coming soon".

Why do companies go to the trouble and expense of mailing promotional material when there's no back up for fulfillment.
Baffles me ! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

davel

Visit site
Yep, some can and some can't.
RFID seems an odd technology to use - OK if you want to confirm the boat is yours - but I guess you'd know that anyway!

Lots of questions which is why I wanted to know more. Anyway, it's in the bin now (recycling of course /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

mikefleetwood

Visit site
Seems a bit pointless to me - if you want to prove the boat's yours when recovered after being stolen, all you need do is write your name (or some other message) on the back of a panel somewhere - only you know it's there. A lot cheaper than any tagging scheme, probably more secure too!

On the other hand, a tracking system to show where it went after it was stolen - that would be useful!

emnick

Visit site
I cant understand why the boat makers do not embed the transponder chip into the hull when being made, from what I rembemer they are a passive device and need no batteries etc.
I beleive that they can be 'read' at a distance which makes it easier for Police I suspect.

I recently bought a device (£125) which uses 20mA and phones my mobile if anybody enters my boat, includes remote transmitters x2 to set & unset, mobile phone signals can be triangulated so finding it is also an option. I can also listen to whats going on on my boat and set & unset remotely. Seems to work well but has only been fitted now for two weeks so not properly tested yet.