Chertsey Lock closure

gordontytler

Visit site
I just received this email at 1:49pm, 22 September 2023

Chertsey Lock breakdown: river closure notice added. All river users are advised to make all necessary boat moves through Chertsey Lock in Lock Keeper service hours prior to 6pm Sunday 24 September 2023.

The web site Thames Restrictions Web site has different information.

Friday 22 September until Sunday 24 September 2023Chertsey LockChertsey Lock public power is currently unavailable. The lock is closed outside of Lock Keeper service hours of 9am to 6pm.

I am in Goring and my marina is down stream from Chertsey. Do I need to rush down to Chertsey in two days or should I wait for it to be fixed?

Any advice most welcome.

Gibeltarik

Visit site
I just received this email at 1:49pm, 22 September 2023

Chertsey Lock breakdown: river closure notice added. All river users are advised to make all necessary boat moves through Chertsey Lock in Lock Keeper service hours prior to 6pm Sunday 24 September 2023.

The web site Thames Restrictions Web site has different information.

Friday 22 September until Sunday 24 September 2023Chertsey LockChertsey Lock public power is currently unavailable. The lock is closed outside of Lock Keeper service hours of 9am to 6pm.

I am in Goring and my marina is down stream from Chertsey. Do I need to rush down to Chertsey in two days or should I wait for it to be fixed?

Any advice most welcome.
Best estimate available is 'several weeks' to repair.
Suggest you make haste to Chertsey before 1800 on Sunday.
You should have an updated Harbour Master Notice by now (if you are subscribed)

Mataji

Visit site
Better get moving. Canal plan reckons over 16 hours to Chertsey lock from Goring. Hope the weather is kind to you, at least you don’t have the winds of the last few days.

Scapegoat

Visit site
This is the latest information.
Lock transit until Sunday evening during lockkeeper hours only - no hand wind or public power.
Closed from Sunday 18:00

Assuming nothing breaks over the weekend

Good news - weather looks very nice

Attachments

• IMG_0995.jpeg
    IMG_0995.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 4

gordontytler

Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

A sixteen hour journey with little guarantee of success did not appeal. I have decided, instead, to take my chances with the weather and stay in the upper Thames for a while longer. Hopefully, Chertsey will be fixed in a few weeks, and if not, I can wait somewhere beyond Boveney.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

A sixteen hour journey with little guarantee of success did not appeal. I have decided, instead, to take my chances with the weather and stay in the upper Thames for a while longer. Hopefully, Chertsey will be fixed in a few weeks, and if not, I can wait somewhere beyond Boveney.
You may be able to get a mooring in Windsor - they often do longer moorings over the October - March period

Scapegoat

Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

Chertsey Lock breakdown update

Dear River User,

Following the closure of Chertsey Lock last week, we want to give customers with an urgent need to pass through Chertsey Lock access prior to the necessary repair works being undertaken.

We will be opening Chertsey Lock between 9am and 6pm on 5 October 2023 and 6 October 2023 for emergency access only. During this time, the lock will be operated with Lock Keeper assisted passage only. There will be no public power operation allowed.

If we determine that the risks to river users have increased prior to, or during these dates, we will close the lock fully and no further passage will be possible.

Our asset management teams are working with our suppliers to programme the necessary refurbishment of the lock gate anchoring system and we will provide a further update as this progresses.

If you would like to register your interest in passing through Chertsey Lock between 5 and 6 October 2023, please write to WaterwaysThames@environment-agency.gov.uk.

Kind regards

River Thames Waterways Team