Cherbourg Scuttlebutt September 2018

Giblets

Visit site
BTW you on the Island Sat? Spare berth if you fancy as another has pulled out.

Since the change of venue I had been toying with coming to Cowes on Saturday via train, ferry & bus but learnt this morning that #1 son is coming home from Oslo for the w/e and that a family meal has been arranged for Sat evening. I fancy that if I opted for Cowes my brownie points account would be severely depleted and certain parts of my anatomy would be in mortal danger!!! :ambivalence:

wizard

Visit site
Since the change of venue I had been toying with coming to Cowes on Saturday via train, ferry & bus but learnt this morning that #1 son is coming home from Oslo for the w/e and that a family meal has been arranged for Sat evening. I fancy that if I opted for Cowes my brownie points account would be severely depleted and certain parts of my anatomy would be in mortal danger!!! :ambivalence:

You certainly do not want to be actually looking at your giblets on the kitchen floor. ;)

Angele

Visit site
I've kinda lost track of exactly who is coming and to which venue, but I spoke to someone on the Dean & Reddyhoff stand at the boat show today, and promised to send them a list of boats that may be at East Cowes tomorrow evening. I actually think one or two (like prv) are not planning to arrive tomorrow, but no harm done in me sending in your boat name just in case.

The list I am sending is the boats belonging to the following forumites:

Angele
Chubby
Concerto
DJE
Dom
Jemini
prv
Radium Rob
Sailor211
Tranona
Wizard

Let me know if you definitely are or are not coming, but I think it is probably sufficient for me to tell the marina that some or all of these boats may be there. I doubt they will be rammed, given the forecast.

I came down to the boat last night and it was pretty wild at times. At the boat show today and the average wind has ranged from 20-30kts. Back on the boat now and it has just started to rain. So, not regretting having called off Cherbourg. (The yacht club was grateful that I had given them plenty of notice of the cancellation).

I'll get in touch with the Folly tomorrow.

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site
Looking at Bramble and Chimet I do not think that a night at anchor in Studland would have been that pleasant and tomorrow doesn't sound like much fun either.

From our emails today, Tranona is out as tides and swell wont make it much fun coming into the Solent from Poole. I have contemplated coming over to the island in Paean tomorrow , but even that looks a little "tasty" to me. Sadly, I think you had better count me out.

prv

Visit site
I have contemplated coming over to the island in Paean tomorrow , but even that looks a little "tasty" to me. Sadly, I think you had better count me out.

I’m not planning to sail until Saturday morning now - not directly due to weather, just change of plans now Cherbourg’s out - and the WRF is showing light winds that day.

Pete

Dockhead

Visit site
Oddly enough, I am flying in from Finland on Saturday morning, and the boat is in Cowes. I'll inflate the dinghy and come up to the Folly on Saturday evening.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Hoping for the worst of the weather to blow through by the afternoon. Bracing ouselves for a thrash but not setting off if its looking dangerous. What sort of time are you thinling of getting together?

chubby

www.flickr.com
I am definitely up for the folly on sat, don't mind rain, we do have a wheelhouse!

I will take a view on fri night tomorrow morning: SWIS Solent still has gusts to 40 + till pm and XC weather similar and the MCA inshore forecast F9 "for a time" but Bramblemet not as bad as predicted.

Angele

Visit site
Hoping for the worst of the weather to blow through by the afternoon. Bracing ouselves for a thrash but not setting off if its looking dangerous. What sort of time are you thinling of getting together?

I was thinking of getting there around 16:00.

chubby

www.flickr.com

What time were you thinking of? The tide would be fair till mid pm and maybe less "wind against tide" chop if we go as the west going slackens off?

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
What time were you thinking of? The tide would be fair till mid pm and maybe less "wind against tide" chop if we go as the west going slackens off?
Ideally I would go about 13:00 but might have to wait if it's still blowing a hooligan. Been down to Hill Head this afternoon and it wasn't desperately bad. Couple of boats out - one with a storm jib up.

chubby

www.flickr.com
Ideally I would go about 13:00 but might have to wait if it's still blowing a hooligan. Been down to Hill Head this afternoon and it wasn't desperately bad. Couple of boats out - one with a storm jib up.

sounds like a plan, gives the weather a chance to blow through! might see you at Wicor

dom

Visit site

I’m planning to head off around 11:30 and kinda want to get the lead out to avoid arriving too far into the ebb. Might see you in the harbour entrance as usual ;)

My biggest concern is getting alongside in East Cowes :ambivalence:

Tranona

Visit site
Just to confirm Phills earlier post, just not practical to make it comfortably there and back from Poole with current weather and forecasts.

Shame as this weekend was a major milestone on my "recovery" trail! Just hope I keep on the same trajectory and have another go next year.

chubby

www.flickr.com
last nights wind seems to have blown through so aiming for E Cowes today. leaving Portsmouth about 12 /1300, ETA mid afternoon, may be single handed but E Cowes marina is sheltered and should be quiet and has long linear pontoons so should be OK

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I’m planning to head off around 11:30 and kinda want to get the lead out to avoid arriving too far into the ebb. Might see you in the harbour entrance as usual ;)

My biggest concern is getting alongside in East Cowes :ambivalence:

Looks like the wind will be the same until this evening so we might as well take the fair tide. Hopefully leaving about 11:00 and setting the inner forestay. Now then No.3 or storm jib?

dom

Visit site
Looks like the wind will be the same until this evening so we might as well take the fair tide. Hopefully leaving about 11:00 and setting the inner forestay. Now then No.3 or storm jib?
Lol, guessing a nice flat #3 wld do the trick and bet your boat will sail sweetly uphill into the Solent chop!

colhel

Visit site
For those (thinking more Single Handers) that haven't been to East Cowes before, just be a little cautious of the tidal stream, should be fairly easy today but if unsure a quick call to the Marina office and someone will take your lines. Also due to the new breakwater the Red Funnel car ferry tends to stay on the Port side of the channel entering and leaving. The Folly Waterbus will be running (up to 22:30 I think)while FB6 is out of action