Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
The ownership, history and current status came up in another thread and rather than drift it I though it better to fork the thread

The Company of Proprietors of the Chelmer & Blackwater Navigation Ltd was created by Act of Parliament on 17 June 1793 with powers to raise money, acquire land and build the navigation

The Company exists to this day and still owns the navigation and a handful of other assets

Commercial traffic ceased in 1972 and after a long period of decline the Company went into administration in 2003. The administrators, perforce, sold of virtually all of the Company assets (land, buildings etc) that were not directly concerned with the actual navigation but were willing to cooperate with attempts to save the navigation itself

British Waterways declined to take it over (for complex legal and political reasons they couldn't really do so) and had the IWA not stepped in the Proprietors would have applied for an order revoking the 1793 Act which would have wound up the Company and closed the navigation for good. (I'm not sure, in this particular case, whether all or part of the land would have reverted to the original owners or their beneficiaries)

IWA Ipswich Branch, and particularly it's late lamented chairman Dougie Beard, led an urgent campaign to save the navigation from closure. The sale of assets had rised sufficient money to satisfy the creditors and IWA set up a wholly owned subsidiary company, Essex Waterways Ltd., which took over the day to day management of the canal and it's maintenance

The Company still owns the freehold and will continue to do so as otherwise a new Act of Parliament would be required which would, in the modern world, be all but impossible to obtain. The company is also the statutory navigation authority of the navigation (thus avoiding IWA becoming both poacher and gamekeeper!) and sets the byelaws relating to it

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Had a lovely day out in the dinghy in August. Rowed with the tide up river from Maldon to Bealey Weir ate a picnic and drifted back on the ebb. Once under the 'Tesco' bridge it gets very rural and peacefull. This summer we fancy using the dinghy and having an expedition to Chelmsford using the navigation. Anyone done it? Heybridge to Chelmsford and back in a day? Doable?

Tiller Girl

Visit site
We did the Company barge with an outing of locals from Heybridge. We were bused just short of Chelmesford and then joined the barge. With one lock we were stuck half way down because the higher pound was flooding over the top of the upper gates exactly the same rate the paddles at the bottom was open. We stuck there for a while until they opened a sluice somewhere to ease things. I recall the Company had quite a good income from Willow all along the banks.

Leighb

Visit site
Thanks for the accurate update, my memory of what I had read at Heybridge was not totally correct but not too far adrift. I had forgotten that IWA was involved in saving the navigation, although not owning it.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Had a lovely day out in the dinghy in August. Rowed with the tide up river from Maldon to Bealey Weir ate a picnic and drifted back on the ebb. Once under the 'Tesco' bridge it gets very rural and peacefull. This summer we fancy using the dinghy and having an expedition to Chelmsford using the navigation. Anyone done it? Heybridge to Chelmsford and back in a day? Doable?

I would be up for it. If it is too far to row, perhaps we could take outboards, but it would be a shame to spoil the peace and quiet

Leighb

Visit site
The canal is lovely, but is sometimes beset by huge quantities of blanket weed. This makes both outboard and rowing very tricky, don't know the stretch above Tesco that may be better or maybe worse as they do try to keep the lower stretch clear.

tr7v8

Visit site
My Brother is a member of the Waterways Recovery Group & apparently they intend having a work party at Heybridge Basin on 15th-17th Jan,

FullCircle

Visit site
We would be up for that......

The Romford Navy

Visit site
Are all the locks working or is the plan to carry the dinghy around each lock, is that possible? Last time I was at Paper Mill lock there wasn't much evidence that the lock worked any more.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Are all the locks working or is the plan to carry the dinghy around each lock, is that possible? Last time I was at Paper Mill lock there wasn't much evidence that the lock worked any more.

The locks are all fully operational and have been for years (in fact, the canal never closed although there were some maintenance issues when Essex Waterways took over) so I don't know where you get that idea from

I would suggest a word with "t'management" on several points - one is the use of locks (they may prefer or require portage) and another is that I think I'm right in saying that a short term licence may be required to go above the first lock ... I'll just check that ... correction, it's above Hall Bridge (the first bridge upstream of Heybridge Basin and therefore technically a licence is required to dinghy up to Tescos but I don't think too much notice is taken of that!)

A day licence is £19 with group discounts of 20% for two to five craft and 30% for six or more

It's getting on for 14 miles and there's 13 locks it'd be fairly easy one way in a day but a bit of a push, I reckon, there and back.

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
We used solid dinghies for the trip up to Beeliegh (sp?) Falls but thought inflatables with little outboards, one of us has an electric jobbie, and carrying around the locks to speed things up a bit. So far I think we have three or four dinghies up for it. We could make this an ECF event. No rules though. Oh, except all craft must carry a full supply of beer, wine and nibbles for the picnic :)

I have a film of the Beeleigh trip if anyone wants to see it I will stick it on YouTube.

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Or, what about putting dinghies in at Chelmsford and going to Maldon with dinner and pints in Queens Head? Must be enough spouses who prefer shopping and providing lifts to spending hours in a blow up boat :)

Tam Lin

Visit site
Sounds like fun. You could launch from the car park in Wharf Rd by the Essex Records Office and go all the way to the Basin. There are a couple of pubs there and room to recover your inflatable. I'll try to get my Seagull working! Count me in if this gets organised.

FullCircle

Visit site
All very well except my inflatable is a Walker Bay 8 and I have no roof rack at the moment or a tow bar. I do have a Seagull though but I think the Mercury is probably better suited.
Can we make this a weekend in July?

Other threads that may be of interest