Cheapish battery monitoring

superheat6k

Visit site

steve yates

Visit site
I've used a couple of these monitors (one for each bank of three batteries) for a few years and they work well, constantly reminding me not to drop below the 60% charge level. Make sure you get one with a shunt capable of handling the maximum possible current you're likely to ever use.
I have two house batteries on a 1-2- both switch, like the op I use batt 1 one day then batt 2 next day and soon. There is no engine starting or charging at all. I currentlyhave a nasa bm1 mini monitoring, I believe, just one battery ( ie, batt 1 and if I move isolator to batt 2 Ipresume the bm1 is not reading that , just giving me voltage)
Could I bet two of these and wire them to each battery so they always tell me the state and amps in and out of each one?

Molteni

Visit site
I have two house batteries on a 1-2- both switch, like the op I use batt 1 one day then batt 2 next day and soon. There is no engine starting or charging at all. I currentlyhave a nasa bm1 mini monitoring, I believe, just one battery ( ie, batt 1 and if I move isolator to batt 2 Ipresume the bm1 is not reading that , just giving me voltage)
Could I bet two of these and wire them to each battery so they always tell me the state and amps in and out of each one?
Yes, that's how mine are wired. Total capacity is first calculated, but in practice the actual capacity will always be a bit less than the quoted Ah as the batteries age.

These are the guages They're a far east copy of the Victron guage omitting just the bluetooth and alarm facilities.

It's often recommended that in use, the "both" setting is used so that batteries are less deep cycled for longer life. e.g it's preferable to drop each battery/bank when sailing to 80% rather than one battery/bank to 60%.

Battery monitoring is not a precise science, but I've found the above set up works well enough.

1678352084200.png

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
It's often recommended that in use, the "both" setting is used so that batteries are less deep cycled for longer life. e.g it's preferable to drop each battery/bank when sailing to 80% rather than one battery/bank to 60%.
Agree, linking both house batteries together, then using just one monitor, will give longer battery life.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

awol

Visit site
Interesting, so if the bm1 shunt is wired to one battery, when the selector switch is set to both does it give an ave across both? Or is it always reading just the battery its wired to?
I don't know the BM1 details but if the shunt is in the negative (assumed common) then it won't matter which battery is in use.

steve yates

Visit site
It is, but there is a positive lead from monitor to one battery. My understanding was it would give you a voltage for either battery but only amps in/out for the battery the positive lead was attached to. Would like to be wrong about that :)

awol

Visit site
It is, but there is a positive lead from monitor to one battery. My understanding was it would give you a voltage for either battery but only amps in/out for the battery the positive lead was attached to. Would like to be wrong about that :)
If you take the +ve feed from the 1/2/both output that should solve the problem.