Cheaper alternative to Raymarine S100 wireless AP remote control

Irish Rover

Visit site
The auto pilot on my boat is a fairly ancient ST6001 but it works well and I'm happy with it. I single hand quite a lot and there are times when a remote control would be very useful. However not often enough or useful enough to justify the price tag for the S100. On another thread a few months ago @vic008 mentioned a Seymo unit and I had a search for it and found Remote control for Raymarine
Less than half the price of the original but still pricey enough.
Does anyone have any experience of using this unit or, better still, an even cheaper alternative.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
You could do it with an Arduino or something - just inject the appropriate NMEA sentences onto the network.

The NMEA sentences used for controlling Raymarine's autopilots have been documented - I know there's any least one OpenCPN plugin that does it; if I recollect it was mentioned on CruisersForum and I found a GitHub. I thought I corresponded with the author, but I can't now find the link.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
The auto pilot on my boat is a fairly ancient ST6001 but it works well and I'm happy with it. I single hand quite a lot and there are times when a remote control would be very useful. However not often enough or useful enough to justify the price tag for the S100. On another thread a few months ago @vic008 mentioned a Seymo unit and I had a search for it and found Remote control for Raymarine
Less than half the price of the original but still pricey enough.
Does anyone have any experience of using this unit or, better still, an even cheaper alternative.
I bought one of these Seymo units from Spain and fitted it today. Seems to be doing the job fine and fitting was straightforward even for a tech numpty like me.

TSB240

Visit site
I bought one of these Seymo units from Spain and fitted it today. Seems to be doing the job fine and fitting was straightforward even for a tech numpty like me.

Yikes Just seen price.!
Cheaper than paying the Ray tax and easy to install.

I appreciate the problem is getting seatalk comms working as you can't easily hard wire a relay interrupt into the Raymarine built in kit. (Easily done with their TP's)

Luckily I didn't have that problem with a B & G AP.
The solution cost a lot less and was easy to hard wire direct into the course computer terminals for a wired remote.

DC12V 2/6 Ch Wireless RF Remote Control Switch Light Receiver Transceiver 315MHz | eBay

Easy to dodge the lobby pots from anywhere on deck now!

Irish Rover

Visit site
Well, this Seymo Nautica remote control seems to be half the price of the Raymarine S100 and it can also be operated from a smart phone app, so I will give it a go. It doesn't look like great quality, but if it works it will do the job.
Remote control for Raymarine
It definitely works and does the job. I've no issue with the quality - the remote unit is a bit cheap looking but works fine and I got a waterproof pouch with mine.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Great. Does the app controller work ok?
I downloaded it but I've never bothered trying it. I generally leave my phone on charge in the cockpit and use my watch for taking calls, checking incoming messages etc. I can't see the point in risking a €1,000+ phone on deck.

Reactions: XTE

harvey38

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but why would anyone want to remotely control their vessel whilst underway, I use out ST6000 even on short jaunts but a remote?

Irish Rover

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but why would anyone want to remotely control their vessel whilst underway, I use out ST6000 even on short jaunts but a remote?
I suppose the only thing that surprises me about your question is that it's taken 4 months for someone to ask :LOL:

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I use mine a lot. Very handy when at the mast raising/lowering the main or just sitting on the foredeck underway on engine away from the engine noise. Very useful device.

TSB240

Visit site
I use it all the time dodging lobster pots or walking around the deck or at the mast base.
Fishermen here just love putting pots on the lay lines from one anchorage to another. Also easier to spot the submerged ones from the bow!

XTE

Visit site
I have decided to go all out and purchase the Raymarine S100, which appears to be about £420.00 ish. I recon that it looks better and must be better quality. And as I only need to buy it once, can move it to new boats and sell it easily if needed, it is worth the extravagance. Everything about boats is an extravagance.

Reactions: FWB

Irish Rover

Visit site
I have decided to go all out and purchase the Raymarine S100, which appears to be about £420.00 ish. I recon that it looks better and must be better quality. And as I only need to buy it once, can move it to new boats and sell it easily if needed, it is worth the extravagance. Everything about boats is an extravagance.
It's definitely not great value and neither is the knock off one I bought. They're both a rip off for what they are but I find it useful and couldn't find a cheaper alternative. If you're happy to pay the higher price then why not.