Cheap Stainless Washers

Noddy

Visit site
I have just been to my local fixing supplier (not a swindlery)to source some stainless steel penny washers. He sold me some at 22 pence each. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

This means that it is cheaper to drill holes in 10 pence pieces and use them instead!

Might also add a bit of value to the boat.

Fire99

Visit site
Surely you must be able to get them much cheaper than that.
I bought a few bits from 'Essex Fixings and Abrasives Supplies Ltd' in Rochford, Essex some time ago for refitting a rubbing strip on an earlier boat. Maybe worth giving them a try.
01702 549222

regards,

Nik

Noddy

Visit site
Thanks for the links

At 9p it still might make sense to use 10p pieces depending on the value it adds to the boat.

Now I wonder what the benefits of embedding £10 notes in resin might be? Can't be far off the cost of matting.....

PeteCooper

Visit site
I was out and about recently at a Sea Life centre, and they had a machine that stamps a coin into a sort of Sea Life medallion type thing. I had always thought that this was illegal. However they had a notice at the side of the machine saying that it is entirely legal so drilling holes in 10pence pieces is probably legal as well.

Honey

Visit site
I to needed some M6 penny washers at the weekend, so went to the local swindlery 74p each!!!!!!!!!! Just oedered a plentifull supply from Screwfix at 89p for 10. I have learned my lesson.

Wunja

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

At 9p it still might make sense to use 10p pieces depending on the value it adds to the boat.

[/ QUOTE ]
You could use 5 Krone coins from Denmark, they already have a hole in them

Avocet

Visit site
I think it's only illegal to deface them with the intention of trying to make them into some other coin worth more...?

billcowan

Visit site
Take care that your cheap stainless isnt 402 instead of 316
If they are magnetic then they will rust.
(yes yes I know that is an oversimplification, see very good SS thread recently)

10p 1) cupro nickel is very good in seawater, in fact they are now making boats out of it. 2) not all coins are cupro nickel 3) some coins are very tough stuff, chewy and very hard to drill

Anyhow, if you can afford a BOAT (Break Out Another Thousand) then you can afford a few poxy washers regardless of price, how many do you need for christ sake?