Chartering a 45ft yacht when only chartered 38ft before. Good or bad idea?

fobos8

Visit site
Hi guys
I've chartered 3 times before, the yacht has been 38ft each time. There's me, the missus, and 2 teenage kids, all very keen sailers.
We've always chartered from the same company, they're great, trustworthy and keep the boats in top condition.

This year their small boats are all taken, but they've offered by a 45ft Bavaria for the same price. I'd really like to charter from them again as they're very good.

I'm slightly nervous taking something out so big, mainly worried about coming into port and mooring up. Area is Split and it will be at end of May 2022.

I don't own a yacht, the only time I skipper is when we charter. I've never had a problem in the past, and have always done well with boat handling.

Should I be worried, or should I just get on with it?

Cheers, Andrew

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I chartered a 45ft Bavaria a few years ago with a group who normally sailed 20ft to 30ft boats. At the time I had a 29-footer. We managed.

flaming

Visit site
Just go for it. The difference between 38 and 45 feet in terms of manoeuvring etc is relatively small. Just take your time to work out the best way to do things and you'll be fine. Only thing to remember is that the difference in weight will be quite sizeable, so don't let anyone "shortcut" any crew work. Use cleats etc properly, don't just expect to be able to manhandle the boat.

jac

Visit site
Go for it. The boat and gear will be a bit heavier so worth spending a bit of time getting the feel of her but I assume you would do that anyway. Basic principle remain the same though.

If you were used to much smaller boats then it might be different as you would be unable to physically handle the boat in the same way - e.g. fending off with hands and feet but if you're used to a 38 you're hopefully not doing it anyway.

Only issue i can see is suitability of local berths / anchorages if she draws more but given that the boat is based there i would assume no real issues

dunedin

Visit site
Does it have a working bow thruster? If so should be manageable. Just need to make sure everybody knows not to try heroics with arms or legs if skipper gets it wrong, as a lot of weight and windage.

However, last week watched a 45 charter boat come back in with 7 spare crew on board (3 on ropes and 3 on roving fenders), take 6 or 7 attempts to reverse the wide stern into its home berth In a calm.
To be fair, next boat (also with a crowd on board) did it first time. Down to expertise of helm and skipper (not necessarily or even ideally the same person)

srm

Visit site
Quite a few years now since I sailed on the west coast of Scotland. Then there were quite a lot of charter yachts around obviously being sailed by people who had never been on a 40/45 ft boat before.
Having said that we all have to face the first time as skipper on a bigger yacht and the jump from 38 to a similar type 45 is not so big. The principles of boat handling remain the same.
Go for it, make sure you have plenty of fenders out and enjoy the experience.
There will probably be much worse boat handlers around than you. Having asked the question you are aware of your limitations and will act accordingly.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Been there, done that, was OK. .... I had the same concerns as you but it was fine.

Take everything easy and be aware of your increased beam as most berthing in Croatia is stern to, ... just get the fenders in place and squeeze in ... in fact, it is easier to go between 2 moored boats than out on your own as the other boats hold you in place until the forward lines are sorted out - just make sure the two moored boats are a similar size ;) watched a charter crew try and put a 50 footer between two small open boats once, they grounded the rudder and stopped the boat dead with an expensive sounding crunch.

If you are used to 38 then 45 is not that great a jump, everything is just a little bit bigger with more momentum.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Only issue i can see is suitability of local berths / anchorages if she draws more but given that the boat is based there i would assume no real issues
Plus, of course, a local charter company can give advice if they think your itinerary might need to be constrained by your draft.

Also if you enjoy short-tacking up the river amongst the Italian motor boats you will need to be slightly quicker on the tacks... (See Croatia 2005 cruise track)

Reactions: jac

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Had the same situation but at short notice: the 38footer was out of action so they offered me the 50 footer, at the quay side!

As above, get the feel for her early on. One thing that did my head in was twin rudders; no spinning on a sixpence (for me anyway). In Croatia there are almost always marineros to help/takeover. I had a great week and it helped my confidence a lot.

You may lose each other down below though; that's about 12-15 sq metres extra space down there!

PS Korculac is very tight in the marina.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
A larger yacht can sometimes be surprisingly easier to handle as long as you take everything slowly. The extra weight, larger rudder and bigger engines and props can actually give you more power and control. If she also has a bow thruster then all the better.

The key is keep it slow and measured.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Thread drift alert!

The OP's query reminds me that my first time ever skippering a yacht (my previous 'commission' being a 12ft Firefly dinghy) was a 38'6" (plus bowsprit!) over-built long-keel ferro schooner displacing (IIRC) 15 tons! :oops:

We were on our way back from Brittany and had reached Brighton, when my friend the skipper had to go home due to ill health and family issues. I volunteered to get the boat back to Essex (fools rush in!). Some other crew had already had to leave, so I was assisted only by my then fairly inexperienced girlfriend. I had sailed extensively as crew on this particular boat but at the time had never sailed on any other yacht, as far as I can recall. I had done most tasks on this boat except take the helm to berth it, leave a berth, or otherwise handle it in close quarters situations! (The skipper had always done this, in part because of its weight (which could cause a lot of damage if things went wrong) and the relative lack of manoeuvrability because of the long keel and modest engine power to weight ratio.)

I was fine when we were at sea, but to say to say I was nervous entering and berthing in Dover, our first stop, would be a gross understatement! It didn't go too badly, though, and was quiet, calm (the wind, that is - I wasn't!), and there was a long pontoon in the dock with plenty of space and an easy approach. I think I warped the boat around to make exiting easier the next day.

My next stop was a congested marina, though. And it was windy. And a busy weekend! I jilled around outside and spotted a hammerhead berth. I waited for a gap in the traffic in the marina and went for it. Then a boat approached from the rear of the marina, so I did an abrupt (well, long-keel abrupt) about turn in the entrance and fled back out into the river. This happened three times before I got near the berth (I was certainly working up a sweat meanwhile), then I found I couldn't turn the bow into the wind as I'd planned (probably not going fast enough, because of my nervousness and unfamiliarity with doing anything like this). I had originally wanted to avoid berthing downwind because that boat certainly carried its way, and took a long distance to stop. But I felt I had no other options, so went for it. We tried to surge the lines to reduce the speed as we came alongside, but still came to an ungainly rather abrupt stop, but had made it without hitting anything or harming my friend's boat. I really could have done with a stiff drink at that stage!

All of which goes to prove the maxim 'Experience is what you get just after you needed it'! :D

TiggerToo

Visit site
Split?

Just remember not to go to the town fuelling pontoon on Friday night before hand-back. But if you've been there before, you probably know that ;)

ashtead

Visit site
You don’t say which make of yacht chartered before but if Bavaria then the upsize will be simples - I went from sailing a 10.8 m to sailing a 50ft version of Bav to help out someone who had chartered for a couple of weeks and little difference in terms of controls. Don’t rely on the bowthruster as they can be underpowered or not work reliably but Bavaria back fairly well and if in the crowded overpriced marina of Croatia you might worry at higher charges but help as said is usually on dockside. The only point you might note is with 39ft you can sort of push it about but a 45 ft you can give up ideas like that (as mentioned in post above)really so might have to be more thoughtful. You don’t mention the mainsail furler but a45 no doubt has curse of in mast so do be sure to triple check operation of this before departure. The engine will be larger so might burn more fuel and maybe you will have more heads on board so crew will burn through more water showering etc. You should find it will slam less when motoring into heavy seas assuming like makes . Biggest challenge will be if you have any shore. Anchoring ie lines ashore in a bay say to rocks . I would perhaps plan my destinations before going away so you have an idea of where you will end up each night and any space issues etc.

fobos8

Visit site
All right guys

I think I'll ditch the idea of chartering a 45 ft and find another charter company that has something sub 40ft. I'll be with the family on a relaxing holiday, and I just don't want the worry about coming in and out of port with something a lot bigger than I'm used too. ]

I'm sure I'd probably be okay, but I think I'll stick to my comfort zone. If I get anxious it will spoil the trip so there's not much point.

All the best, Fobos

jimi

Visit site
I wouldn't worry, just go for it. Not a lot of difference between handling a 38 and 45 ft. Good luck and have fun. Just put lots of fenders out ;-)

crewman

Visit site
I normally sail a 23 foot boat with an outboard. Every year charter a 43 foot boat. Moving up a size is not the problem you thunk it is. Go for it and enjoy the extra space

Visit site
All right guys

I think I'll ditch the idea of chartering a 45 ft and find another charter company that has something sub 40ft. I'll be with the family on a relaxing holiday, and I just don't want the worry about coming in and out of port with something a lot bigger than I'm used too. ]

I'm sure I'd probably be okay, but I think I'll stick to my comfort zone. If I get anxious it will spoil the trip so there's not much point.

All the best, Fobos
You WILL be fine. Remember, in HR they all have bow thrusters. I did it about 5 years ago. Went from 36ft one year, to 40ft the next, then 46. The 46 was the easiest. Nice and ponderous when manoevering, and remember that mooring is almost always stern-to, so not that difficult.

Dutch01527

Visit site
I recently moved from a 28 foot 2500kg boat to a 42 foot 10,000kg boat.

Sailing, not a lot of difference. I am happy sailing solo.

Mooring a bit of a learning curve. More speed needed to have enough steerage. Needs a more aggressive use of throttle, go in a bit faster, reverse a bit harder. I have set up a midships line with a long boat hook to drop a loop over cleat and motor against it to bring the boat alongside.

I would go for it but practice in open calm water as soon as you get the boat.