Chartering a 45ft yacht when only chartered 38ft before. Good or bad idea?

Stemar

Visit site
Needs a more aggressive use of throttle, go in a bit faster, reverse a bit harder.
While I appreciate the necessity sometimes, I've seen that have unintended consequences once or twice, notably when a forward/reverse cable detached itself. Both boat and pontoon survived, but it was less than elegant...

In the end it comes down to the old adage, "As slow as you can, and as fast as you must"

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
While I appreciate the necessity sometimes, I've seen that have unintended consequences once or twice, notably when a forward/reverse cable detached itself. Both boat and pontoon survived, but it was less than elegant...
Ah, been there, but fortunately it wasn't me (Gov) that did that. It was the gung-ho skipper of a 50-footer with whom we were paying guests come crew. The solid quay didn't do the stern lockers any good but it was not catastrophic...

Bobc

Visit site
Most people charter a 50 when they've only sailed dinghies before and just done a RYA DS crash course. So why not!

dunedin

Visit site
I recently moved from a 28 foot 2500kg boat to a 42 foot 10,000kg boat.

Sailing, not a lot of difference. I am happy sailing solo.

Mooring a bit of a learning curve. More speed needed to have enough steerage. Needs a more aggressive use of throttle, go in a bit faster, reverse a bit harder. I have set up a midships line with a long boat hook to drop a loop over cleat and motor against it to bring the boat alongside.

I would go for it but practice in open calm water as soon as you get the boat.
I would have thought precisely the opposite. As Jonic says above, “keep it slow and measured”. Or in the other phrase I like with bigger boats, “slow is Pro”. I always think people manoeuvring at speed look like the amateurs, and a very slow, smooth and measured docking at under 1 knot shows somebody who knows how to do things properly.
Generally the mass of a bigger boat means less prone to be suddenly blown than a lighter boat.

dunedin

Visit site
Ah, been there, but fortunately it wasn't me (Gov) that did that. It was the gung-ho skipper of a 50-footer with whom we were paying guests come crew. The solid quay didn't do the stern lockers any good but it was not catastrophic...
Watched a traditional 60 foot boat try the “lots of engine” technique to go onto a fuel berth in a breeze. Lots of revs in forward and reverse. Came in fast and tried to turn - but unfortunately got the bobstay the wrong side of the fuel pump and ripped it off into the water. The marineros were unimpressed about wrecking their fuel berth. That was going to be expensive methinks.

flaming

Visit site
I would have thought precisely the opposite. As Jonic says above, “keep it slow and measured”. Or in the other phrase I like with bigger boats, “slow is Pro”. I always think people manoeuvring at speed look like the amateurs, and a very slow, smooth and measured docking at under 1 knot shows somebody who knows how to do things properly.
Generally the mass of a bigger boat means less prone to be suddenly blown than a lighter boat.
Yes, until it's windy and the bow gets blown off.... The real pros are those who know when to take it slow, and when that won't work, those who seem to have an innate feel for when the appendages under the boat are about to lose their grip on the water. The skipper who never adapts their approach to the conditions is going to come a cropper one day....

And with the increasing popularity of twin rudders, there is a potential banana skin awaiting those who go too slow. With a single rudder setup berthing in moderate conditions you know that if the bow starts to get blown off, a quick flick of the helm and blast of throttle to send propwash over the rudder can get the boat straightened up without really increasing the speed. Doesn't work with twin rudders, so the risk of losing steerage (i.e sufficient flow over the rudders) is that you then have to accelerate quite markedly to get it back and get the boat straightened up.... Not good if you're already deep up a dead end alley....

jimi

Visit site
Agree with Flaming, I know that if my bow starts gets blown off then I've lost it and have to go with it. When leaving the berth I often leave at full power until I've got water flow over the rudder then lots of full throttle against rudder to spin the boat. When berthing I keep the boat moving so the rudder is controlling the direction of the boat rather than the wind. Obviously wind and tide affect my decision how to approach,. eg I prefer to berth stern to so the dogs can get on and off the boat easily. With wind from astern its a doddle , slight wind in the opposite direction mean I have to approach faster and apply brakes firmly, strong wind means either a safe approach bows to, or a shit or bust reverse at full speed and hammer brakes on ;-) I don't often adopt the last tactic . Hesitancy IMHO often means losing control of the boat to the wind or tide and ending up rapidly deploying fenders and apologies. Trick is to keep sufficient water flow over the rudder to allow control, when that is not possible then be aware of what the wind or tide will do and use it!

Stemar

Visit site
Watched a traditional 60 foot boat try the “lots of engine” technique to go onto a fuel berth in a breeze. Lots of revs in forward and reverse. Came in fast and tried to turn - but unfortunately got the bobstay the wrong side of the fuel pump and ripped it off into the water. The marineros were unimpressed about wrecking their fuel berth. That was going to be expensive methinks.
I heard a story of a similar boat that speared the window of a rather classy restaurant. The skipper walked up the bowsprit and said, "Table for six, please"