Charter Destination Advice

Jessy

Visit site
With my honeymoon looming (second half of September) I am planning to charter a yacht for a week or two. Can anyone recommend a picturesque destination with a fairly good weather outlook at that time of year. Bear in mind it should be suitable for a skipper with a novice crew, consisting solely of the new wife he needs to sell the idea of boat ownership to!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
IMHO you are taking a risk. Sailing can at times involve stress and is this really what you want at the outset? Is she liable to sea-sickness and is this what she wants to remember from her honeymoon?

A lot will depend on her attitude and her enthusiasm to give it a go. Be objective, judge her enthusiasm and not your own. This is known as enlightened self-interest !

This said I had my honeymoon on a boat - with my ex-wife !

If I were to suggest a location I would consider Corsica, chartering out of Calvi. The west coast is superb, the weather should still be good and in September it will be less crowded. You need however to keep abreast of the weather for Mistral / Libeccio.

John.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: South of France

Oh dear, this is no good at all for new wifey's. A fab place will be South of France. Start in Nice, and go down to St tropez, anchoring staying in Villefranche, St jean cap ferrat, the bay of cannes, isle de lerin, golfe de st tropez on the way there or back.

Lots of shopping/food/swimming opportuinities, weather and sea wil be warm. Also (unlike greece) the food is decent, the bogs work, and it has romantic/racy riviera overtones. Make sure you don't upgrade the boat much above 32 feet otherwise the boatbuying will get expensive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
all depends on the woman. but it is a risky venture you propose. sailing can be stressful and you risk putting her off boats for life.

take her next year with some friends on a big white boat. Say sixof you. Three nice strong men and three girls. Nice strong men pull ropes and weigh anchors carry shopping and do the nav. Girls tie on fenders lie on deck looking glam and piile you up with food at supermarket. In evening you have post sail gantsand girls open the pringles. Lots of nice evening meals out. Girls then start taking helnm doing nav picking destinations and winching. in three days you let them skipper the boat and instruct nice strong men. she will love it.

I am not being harsh. this is a hineymoon it HAS to go right. If you donot know how she will cope with aweek on a boat it COULD be a big mistake. I t could all go swimmingly but if you want to gurantee she will be sold on sailing do it in company. Take her on honeymoon somewhere nice where you can do a skippered boat for say 2 days without breaking bank. then tell her next years plan or do winter in the carribean.
I am offon honeymoon next week.we go sialing every holiday in a group.this will be first holiday in more than 15 years that has not involved a boat. we plan to do a flotilla in the Ionian ( ken is correct) later in year alone September actually, but honeymoon will have been and gone then so technically just another holiday.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

oldestgit

Visit site
Totally agree with the twister...

You might also consider Athens and then the Eastern Peloponnisos Coast where you can have it either noisy at night or peaceful ... your choice of marinas or moorings, you could easily meander around for a week or two...

If the love of your life decides she likes the sailing thing, you could cut out east to the Cyclades where there is generally more wind and the islands are just fab.

They even like children there.... Ooops probably a little premature.

Either way take the 2 week option if you can you won't be disappointed.

...Me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Ooh disagree

Well, I think honeymoons are a bit borin really. I mean during the day "simply enjoying the newly-wedded bliss of each other's company" is a bit dull after about twenty minutes and a couple of pina coladas, when most of the conversation revolves aroudn the cost of the blimmin pina colada or whatever.

So, may as well go on a boat where drinks are bigger and cheaper, and if she doesn't like it then no problem - you don't need a large boat and can have a more spartan racy boat, and she will be able to spend more time with her mates too. It is a good idea to turn the phone off cos it can sound like a bilge alarm if she rings you, though this stops after the first year when she wil know you better (and therefore possibly left you)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jessy

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your wise words.
We chartered in the Ionian last year with the sort of crew composition that one of you recommended, so I'm fairly hopeful that the future Mrs J will both cope and enjoy herself.
I'm wondering about Chesapeake Bay, has anybody been?

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

yep probably right
saw all the stuff we have to do
its like a bloody oreinteering exercise from vineyard to hotel to restaraunt every day

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

yep probably right
its like a bloody oreinteering exercise from vineyard to hotel to restaraunt every day

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

yep probably right

Visit site
Forget the Ionian (IMHO), overcrowded, rubbish food and boring sailing. I was in the exact same position last year (although wife had worked for me for a couple of months as cook on board 35 metre, was just marina hopping and she was chained to the galley). We chartered in Turkey (Gocek) stunning scenery, excellent food, quiet bays and anchorages and extremely friendly and hospitable people. After four days she was planning our next holiday further south and by the end of two weeks we were seriously discussing our retirement as liveaboards gently cruising the world.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SimonRanshaw

Visit site
Ionian can be crowded if you go at the wrong time but otherwise is a splendid place, especially for novice crews and skippers. We chartered an Elan 34 our from Lefkas in 2000 and had a fantastic time. Came in late each night and found a space on the quay/pontoon every evening. Food was excellent (except with one argument about the price of fish at Port St Nicholas on Zante), people friendly. That was between 25th June and 8th July. Had such a good time that we are going back for another round in 3 weeks on 12th July! I'll report back next month if it's become overcrowded or the food has deteriorated!
Simon
www.SailCrew.co.uk

<hr width=100% size=1>