Changing oil filter

DoubleEnder

Visit site
On a friends boat. Need to change this filter. But how does it come apart? We have spare cartridges. Any one able to give me a clue?
Thank yoy

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpeg
    IMG_0096.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 56

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
That is for fuel, not oil. CAV type, that cartridge is Fleetguard FF167A
There is a central bolt on the head, which goes straight through the cartridge.
They come in different versions, with a bottom metal bowl there is usually a central female threaded hole where the bolt screws.
Other variants of the same type offilter may have different components, in particular if there is a glass bowl underneath.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Yes sorry fuel filter. My mistake apologies. I assume the little nut at the bottom of the aluminium housing drains it, then the nut on top will open the housing and allow a new element to be fitted. But I’m unfamiliar with it and want to check.

Rafiki

Visit site
Yes sorry fuel filter. My mistake apologies. I assume the little nut at the bottom of the aluminium housing drains it, then the nut on top will open the housing and allow a new element to be fitted. But I’m unfamiliar with it and want to check.
Correct- and a messy job it can be too. Did mine yesterday, fortunately got it all back together with no weeping seals.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
As mentioned, can be very messy as inevitably you'll get diesel dripping everywhere... have a large container/bucket to catch everything. I've changed my similar fuel filter for the screw on type, so much easier to change. I bought mine from SSL Diesel Parts but not sure they do a version with the integral pump. Check you have the correct screw threads for the connections.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Many thanks. Let’s have a go. We’re on a fairly remote stretch of a French canal. So it’s nice and quiet. But a long way from shops and engineers

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
Change both o rings while you are at it (they usually come with the new filter) but make sure you have picked the old one out of the top housing as it lurks up in a recess and gives trouble if you end up with two in there, which is easy to do.
A leak is often air getting in rather than diesel getting out so can be a sod to find.

Stemar

Visit site
The other trap with the CAV filter I had is that there are two O rings which are different enough not to work if switched, but not different enough to be obvious, especially if you're in a hurry to get the engine going again.

I sacked mine and replaced it with a pair of spin-on filters from a car breakers and some tubing and valves from ASAP so I could switch filters in seconds. Of course, this meant I never had a blocked filter again.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Yep - almost definitely - I am wondering why the OP has decided that that one has to be changed now - are they having issues?
The second filter is for the generator…..
We are having intermittent engine stoppages and I think it’s fuel supply so have swapped out both this filter and the spin on filter on the engine. Seems to have helped

Thank you for the info. Great help