Centre vs aft cockpit: pros & cons?

biscuit

Visit site
After years of sailing a variety of boats, all with aft cockpits, (and most with tillers)I am considering a change, and have seen some very nice centre cockpit boats (35-37 ft range): I have no real experience of living with this set up, and would welcome any views, for and against.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
Some Pros
A centre cockpit makes the boat feel smaller and therefore less intimidating in certain situations.

You'll probably get a decent aft cabin.

It should be drier in heavy weather.

Some Cons
More difficult to see the back if going stern-to

Cockpit is normally smaller

wotayottie

Visit site
center cockpit is actually wetter than aft. centre cockpit is higher so visibility problems under genoa, also feels less secure when heeled (for swmbo!). windage since the boat is taller

centre cockpit means bigger aft cabin on typical 35 footer - not so much of an issue on a 60 footer.

really its all about accomodation vs performance. what do you want the boat for? if its a floating caravan, then go centre. some aft cockpit boats are also caravans but I cant think of a performance boat that is centre cockpit.

Norman_E

Visit site
The Good Points of a centre cockpit in a 35-37 foot boat.
1) Usually a bigger aft cabin with better headroom than the equivalent aft cockpit boat.
2) Main-sheet is usually on a traveller right behind the helm, and easily controlled by the helmsman.
3) The helmsman is closer to the beam of the boat, and this can make it easier coming alongside whilst short handed.
4) Most centre cockpit boats were from good makers including Moody and Halberg Rassy, and even the volume builders centre cockpit boats were often a cut above the same makers aft cockpit models. For example the 38 and 40 foot Bavaria Ocean boats always appeared to be better specified than the cheaper aft cockpit boats of the same size.

Disadvantages:
1) Small Cockpit, if you have a full crew.
2) In the smaller sizes the saloon or the forward cabin (or both) tend to be cramped.
3) Not so easy if you moor stern to.
4) The steering is necessarily remote, and if cable connected it can be stiff and lacking in feedback.
5) The high cockpit sole results in reduced forward visibility, and is more likely to induce seasickness because of the greater arc of any rolling motion.
6) Partly because of the small saloon some centre cockpit boats are a bit gloomy below decks, and seem to have less light and ventilation than equivalent aft cockpit models.
7) In this size range some older designs have no internal access between aft cabin and saloon.

lw395

Visit site
I found it harder to moor alongside, because there is so much more boat behind you than with an aft wheel. Same when going through a tight gap. Maybe you get used to it?

l'escargot

Visit site
You do have to rember the length of boat behind you, especially when in confined spaces. I made the transition to centre and it would now be my preference. Mine is deep so it feels more secure. It is far drier and less chance of getting pooped as well. Easier to have a full cockpit cover which gives more space in inclement weather and being a ketch all the lines can be handled from the steering position but engine access can be difficult. And the dogs like it as they can patrol all around the boat.

Marsupial

Visit site
The mooring up issue for a center cockpit can be an issue depending on the aft deck layout, for the helmsman to take the stern line ashore is more difficult. In a seaway they APPEAR to be more secure But the clincher for me in favour of Aft cockpits is that I have had both types with a cockpit full of water - the aft cockpit with a big hole in the transom ala benjenbav gets my vote. Far safer IMHO of course

ianat182

Visit site
I have found that when aboard he centre cockpit yacht the main-sheet traveller is often too close to the helming position for my liking(i.e.Moody 346 and 376) also the higher freeboard can become difficult when crew are mooring up in marinas. A young person fine but the older crew stands a good chance of jarring their back, the bigger the boat is. My personal favourites would have been for aft steering, the the M336, and the centre cockpit M346/35 of the range. I often helm a Grand Soleil 34 where the main-sheet purchase is pretty lethal in the tack or gybe (tiller steering) aft cockpit.

FullCircle

Visit site
Most of the Centre Cockpit boats I have looked at, have very limited cockpit locker space, as that is taken up by the companionway going to the aft cabin.

The motion is accentuated because of the height above waterline.

I would like one, but I think it only makes real sense at 40 feet plus. I have no intention of going that size, so I will stick with what I have now.

A Bavaria 42 Ocean of mid to late 90's vintage does it for me.

pandos

Visit site
Many of the points raised are individual to the particular boats.

I have had both types.

I have no real preference,

There is more freeboard in a Dufour 35 aft cockpit then a HR352.

The sense of light below is decided by position of the portlights, whether they are in the hull or above the side decks.

The new hrs are really more pleasant below.

Certainly remembering the bit behind is important and does take some learning.

The motion being tossed from side to side in theory is worse but I never noticed any ill effects, but I think the pitching motion front to back motoring into weather is lessened by being closer to the keel.

The decent aft cabin is great .

There is a huge cockpit locker just as in most aft cockpit boats which have a quater berth instead of a passage.

The mainsheet behind the helm is a pain but one soon gets used to it,

Sheltering behind a windshield as you beat into a f6, with decks awash.... great.

But so to is standing behind a huge wheel and the full yacht out in front of you...

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I have a Pentland ketch and don't recognise many of the "disadvantages" mentioned above. My cockpit is around 8ft long, the side lockers are cavernous, It is a bit exposed behind the wheel as you are a fair way from the spray hood, but I use an autohelm & control it from under the hood if it is wet. You feel safe with cabins ahead & astern, and the aft cabin makes an excellent captain's cabin as you can be called by the helm & look around if there is a problem - without leaving your sleeping bag. I don't try climbing in over the stern, so it may be inconvenient for mediterranean moorings, but great for UK alongside ones. But the roof of the aft cabin is perfect for my s/s barrel barbie and an ideal place to dump the junk (and grandkids). I also like the feel of a destroyer wheel & its ability to hold a course while I put the kettle on, sort the warps/ fenders/ set sails etc etc.

I have had Searush for about 15years & might consider moving on if I could only find something that suited my cruising so well, but was a little newer.

maxi77

Visit site
I think this is a question like many which depends far more to personal preferences and planned boat use rather that real technical advantages.

We chose a center cockpit very deliberately to suit our plans for the next ten years which will involve long periods of living aboard. There the large aft cabin with almost 6ft head room is ideal, especially with the en-suite heads. The cockpit may not be quite as large as an aft cockpit, but with the wheel steering almost all is usable so once again there is plenty of room for our needs. The cockpit is also well suited to a full cockpit cover which is ideal in this climate. You also maintain your privacy when moored stern to.

Now of course if we had wanted a racy boat and planned to make long potentially heavy weather passages we may have chosen differently, who knows.

michael_w

Visit site
One of the problems with a centre cockpit on a boat smaller than say 45ft, is the relative smallness of the saloon as it's pushed well forward.

After all, you send more time sitting around the saloon table than in the splendid aft bonkatorium don't you?

Also the smaller boats seem to suffer from the "wedding cake" appearance.

maxi77

Visit site
It is all horses for courses, even in a 36 our saloon is adequate for our needs, we can seat six, only ever plan to accomdate 2 others though we could sleep more, and we expect to be spending most of our time where much of what entertaining we may do will be done on deck.

biscuit

Visit site
Thanks to all respondents: lots of experience and all very sensible observations. I will keep an open mind....

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
I travelled 4 days and nights to Spain then back in a centre cockpit Nicholson 38' ketch. Very cozy crossing Biscay but very cut-off from reality though with windscreen and plastic window side snd back screens.
You need a window in the cockpit roof to see the sails which this boat has.
Roomy with good berths and general accommodation. This is a fast and excellent seaboat, worth a look if you like a more traditional style.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
The position has never bothered me, I have driven trawlers and boats of all kinds, forward wheelhouses, aft, mid, tillers, forward wheels etc. You get used to anything, the boat behind is something that never affected me personally, I guess some people must need to see everything, I have never felt out of touch with a boat due to where I sit.

My problems come from access to simple things, for example, to launch the lifebuoys I would need to leave the helm and go out into danger (danger as being out there has already created the situation for the other member of crew). Visibility is rubbish if you want to sit down, but that is more due to my boat, I have a rear view mirror on the mast base as turning about to look from my normal helm seat is difficult. We do have a particularly deep cockpit, safe but at the same time, a right old pain in the harse.

The visibility can also be a problem on the mooring, if you are a people watcher like me, you end up bobbing up and down like a meerkat to see what's going on, especially if you have dodgers. I miss being able to stand at the stern or sit back with a glass of vino and watch life going past.

OTOH, I really like the fact that the berths are totally separate from the saloon, galley, heads etc. You can eat curry or fish and still sleep, the crew can awake early and not have to creep about for fear of waking the sleepy head.

The mast is accessible from the cockpit, we can reef without leaving the cockpit, though in general we do leave as it is easier from the saloon roof to hoist the main..

We have a full cockpit tent which makes the cockpit another dry area. This weekend during a rain shower we continued angling in the dry, this was the poshest I have ever been while fishing. Angling though, is a right pain from a centre cockpit, I was exhausted after a few hours, getting to the edge of the boat meant climbing out of the cockpit each time. (I have only just started angling again after a long break).

They are not better, nor worse in my opinion, just different.