CAV starter motor rebuild

SaltIre

Visit site
Pictures and videos are on my phone where I took them. Words are mine and you may notice there are sl

ight changes to the originals. I could easily go to canal world and put a copyright imprint on the whole lot if you like. There really is zero chance that the owner of canal world, Dan, would object any way.
The Canal World website says this:
All content remains the copyright of its respective owner.
...but I think anything you post here becomes the property of TI Media, if it is on their server.

snibble

Visit site
The Canal World website says this:

...but I think anything you post here becomes the property of TI Media, if it is on their server.
OK thanks for that. So I had the copyright until I posted it here. So I shan't be posting anything like it here again. I'm trying to help, not be exploited.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Pictures and videos are on my phone where I took them. Words are mine and you may notice there are sl

ight changes to the originals. I could easily go to canal world and put a copyright imprint on the whole lot if you like. There really is zero chance that the owner of canal world, Dan, would object any way.
I’m sure Dan won’t mind but there are some technical legal reasons why our editing your posts has potential problems for a big forum sponsored commercially by a multinational... It’s all about who owns the post. We’ll see what we can do.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
No helpful comment, but the topic takes me back a bit! When I was in the post-A-level doldrums at school, a friend's family canal boat sank, and they weren't able to get her out until the electrical bits of the engine had been submerged long enough for them to stop working. Because they hadn't recovered her promptly, their insurance failed to pay up for what they called avoidable damage (this was late 60s or early 70s). So, my friend and I dismantled and refurbished them in the school physics laboratory! Both starter and alternator worked after we'd dismantled them and cleaned them up, but getting them apart took us quite a bit of examination and experimentation - no handy internet in those days!

LoneHort

Visit site
Thanks Snibble
Can I ask is this a service you provide as i'd be afraid of tackling this by myself?
I have a perkins 4236 24v with a similar starter and finding a hard time to get someone here that could give it an overhaul.
send me a PM if it is and thanks again.

snibble

Visit site
I've seen a few none standard replacements used. Not widely known but the Society of American Engineers (SAE, yes, as in oil) specify flange configurations so there is a degree of interchangeability. Having built loads of Delco starters does leave me open mouthed with wonder that the Apollo spacecraft actually started first time to lift off from the moon.

Ole_L

Visit site
Hi
I am renovating an old starter CA45F 12V Y11M and unfortunately i forgot to take a picture of which of the wires that comes from the solenoid to the two small screws. At the moment I have put the double copper wire to the screw near the pinion and the single wire to the other screw.
Is that the right assembly or should it be reversed.
I’m sorry to say that I can’t see it on your picture.