CAV starter motor rebuild

snibble

Visit site
This antique octopus test bench expresses torque as hydraulic pressure. The conversion tables to take that information together with the number of teeth on pinion and test bench to reach a figure to compare with manufacturers test plan no longer exists. The unit is tested against my expectations based on experience.
Current draw.
<div style="width:100%;height:0px;position:relative;padding-bottom:75.000%;"><iframe src="current - Streamable" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;overflow:hidden;"></iframe></div>

So, new plugs over the field connections, lubricator wick spring and it's retaining plug, new terminal nuts and washers, coat of paint and out the door
It's only a starter motor, how hard can it be??

VicS

Visit site
None of your image links works ............

Up load them with the "insert image" tool , or use the "attach files" button

... except that new members cannot post image files

snibble

Visit site
They work on the message board for me. In the link above click where it says "current-streamable" within the body of the link.

SaltIre

Visit site
The message board on which they reside disallows hotlinking them to elsewhere.
Error 1011 Ray ID: 57fce8145f99f3e3 • 2020-04-06 16:32:44 UTC
Access denied
What happened?
The owner of this website (www.canalworld.net) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/forums/uploads/monthly_2020_02/IMG_20200205_092854.jpg.878e47dfafb9360d182f3bf3bfab97a8.jpg).
You need to post the originals.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The message board on which they reside disallows hotlinking them to elsewhere.

You need to post the originals.

Indeed. I'd have loved to have seen the pictures as I worked as an Auto-electrician when I was between college and university and there was only one person in the workshop who could rebuild CAV starters and I wasn't in on the secrets!.

Regular starter motors were tested (when I'd fitted new brushes and skimmed the commutator etc) by clamping them on the bench and levering a length of soft wood against the pinion to provide a 'load'. Lots of smoke and a charred bit of wood when pressure was applied indicated it was good to go...

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Bloody cheek! I am the author and photographer so copyright is mine. Will do.

I think you'll find that copyright on websites is a little more complex then you perhaps realise. (Read the T's and C's of this forum for example.)
I mention this because I wouldn't like you to get too hot under the solar. when you realise that what you've written and published on here (like many other forums) no longer belongs to you... It's generally no big deal, but it pays to read the small print. As a moderator of the forum, we occasionally get people very upset that they've lost the right to alter what they've written etc.

I hope this doesn't put you off contributing as what you are writing about is of great interest to a number of practical boat owners.

snibble

Visit site
Pictures and videos are on my phone where I took them. Words are mine and you may notice there are sl
When I've got some spare time, I can try and fit the pics and text together?

Not sure how we'll sort the ownership of the posts out though... I'll consult FAT.
ight changes to the originals. I could easily go to canal world and put a copyright imprint on the whole lot if you like. There really is zero chance that the owner of canal world, Dan, would object any way.