Caulking

Romeo

Visit site
I could do with a rpofessional to help me with a smallish caulking job. East Coast Scotland. Any recommendations?

old_salt

Visit site
A bit of practise and you "CAN" do it your self.
You should get some idea from the amount of old cotton you remove as to the amount you will need to put back in possibly just a little more as the removed will look very Little.
On the first go about 2ft pull it all out and do it again and then again using the same cotton. Simple twisting up a little more or less, more or less strands.
You will know when it is right.
Then remove the cotton you have used a few times and do up with new.
It will look good and feel good by that I mean it will feel right when you firm it up in the seam.
It must set firm without going though to the inside and not be so much as to leave no room to pay up the seam with a putty or seem flex material.
A ball of cotton or hemp off ebay will only cost you a £5 at the most.
Any local horse farrier or Black smith will make a caulking tool for you if you have not got any.
You really only need one tool.
A tool that just fits in the seam without damaging the plank edges will do the job the probs only arise when the seams are of very varying gaps but a narrow tool will still do within reason.
It is all a mater of teasing in till it is just right and feeling that just right time when you are hitting the tool it will come with a bit of practise.
The one thing is you can remove and do it all over again till you get it right.
Then it is very rewarding.
I know this has been a little long winded but it is very much a variable as to the end result.
This is much to the mystic of caulking up a boat held by the old boys.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Sound advice from Old Salt. Just remember to paint the seam with primer before you begin and again before you pay (fill) the seam with red-lead putty on top of the caulking.
The tricky thing is not to overdo it, particularly if the boat has dried out a lot. Not enough isn't as bad as too much; you can always redo a section of caulking which weeps. Too much caulking will strain the fastenings as the planks swell. This could lead to sprung planks or cracked frames.

Romeo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The tricky thing is not to overdo it, particularly if the boat has dried out a lot. Not enough isn't as bad as too much; you can always redo a section of caulking which weeps. Too much caulking will strain the fastenings as the planks swell. This could lead to sprung planks or cracked frames.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly why I want the help of a professional. I was planning to watch and help so that once I get a feel for it I will be confident of doing it without springing frames/ cracking ribs in the future.
R