Catch the Pigeon....

M

marilynch

This weekend I sailed in the DeGuingand Bowl Race (Fast net Training - Lucky Me) and on saturday A 'Pigeon' Landed on My head!

Luckily it did not leave a 'calling Card' /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. It was a pale beige homng pigeon that needed a rest, it settled on the side deck for a while but when we tacked it had to fly off, it tried to land again on another crew member but couldn't get a grip and flew away.
Anyone else get a visit ? or have a tale of unusual visitors and stow aways?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
We had a racing pigeon with us for two days on our trip up here from the Canaries two weeks ago.

percy.jpg

Aout a mile off the coast of Madeira he took off and headed out to sea towards the Canaries . . . maybe he just likes riding on yachts, he certainly seemed quite at home. (And in our case we had to do a lot of deck scrubbing after two days!!)

You can read more about Percy the passenger pigeon on our blog

- Nick

S

Skyva_2

We gave one a ride home a week ago, it landed on the foredeck totally exhausted and SWMBO threw it some bread; it eventually hopped into the cockpit and she grabbed it, wrapped it in a towel and put it in an insulated bag.

At Brixham we passed the buck to the MDL staff who found its owner (in addition to the leg rings these birds have a telephone number on the starboard wing feathers!)
A local pigeon racer picked it up and sent it home to Derby. It was apparently en route from Portsmouth to Derby when it found us in the Channel. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

peterb

Visit site
But I would bet that the owner doesn't have it now. Pigeons are kept to win races. Pigeons that take a day out to rest don't win races. One wrung neck and a tasty lunch.