Catamaran floating upside down

Stemar

Visit site
Jazzcat may be a heavy old thing for a cat, but I understand that several have crossed the Atlantic and there's no record of one even lifting a hull, never mind tripping over itself. At my age, I'm quite happy with that.

However, just in case, I have a tee shirt ready

il_794xN.1295116791_oe1c.jpg

penfold

Visit site
The crew could have got that dinghy flipped and carried on with their journey if they were keen.

The rudders seem to be in a strange place. I wonder if it's been lengthened.
Can't see why they've put them there, it just reduces lever arm so the rudder has less effect. A good demonstration why MHs have hatches on the underside.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Potentially both. Though these days you’d need to be probably both careless and unlucky to do either. I've experienced a thunderstorm driven line squall on a multihull. We saw it coming, and reefed. Unpleasant, as it would be, no doubt, on any monohull, but not very worrying.
My Hobie FX One I flipped far more often stern over bow (going down the mine) than to the side.

Old Harry

Visit site
Well from Family owning /racing a Catamaran , they really tried not to Tip her over , or head into /below the oncomming water , as a Capsize was a real possibility , with the width ver the length being as it is , righting such a Catamaran from being upside down tis not easy , especially if out on the seas
I do not think they are rudders. The prout iiriquire as prow. Vtl fall over in a gust a friend has doe kit tryk g t b eat mobo

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's still stable and doesn't roll. Just a bit more difficult to get at the BBQ.

Isn't the Ijsselmeer quite sheltered? Sea state on the photo certainly doesn't look like much wind, perhaps they didn't see a squall?
Yes mostly it's just small ripples,
I had the most undisrupted sleep at anchor this year ever.
well untill a barge comes roaring pass.
Makes a change from lying in bed and hearing waves smacking the bow.

Last edited:

KenF

Visit site
I have no experience of catamarans but I always thought that capsize was sometimes caused by the wind getting under the deck and flipping it over, so the risk of flipping a non-racing catamaran sometimes occurs when there is no sail up and the boat is stationary.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I have no experience of catamarans but I always thought that capsize was sometimes caused by the wind getting under the deck and flipping it over, so the risk of flipping a non-racing catamaran sometimes occurs when there is no sail up and the boat is stationary.
That's just scaremongering nonsense. Wave action is a possible capsize cause, with no sail, but for wind to ‘get under the deck’ it woukd have to be 3 parts capsized already.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site

Cat 5 hurricane territory. Other more pressing problems occur in those kinds of winds, like your butties getting soggy, your bulkheads getting banjaxed, or your marina no longer existing.

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
It used to be common on cats to have a buoyancy "cotton reel" at the top of the mast or self inflating bags. I used to wonder how easy/difficult it may by to right a knocked down cat.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Around the point at which you are just as well off upside down as right way up. Any way that's still afloat is a bonus.

Here's one that blew over...

'Tornado' that hit marina defied belief as it threw a catamaran over a pier

To get an idea of the wind strength look at the second photo in the article showing a large monohull in the background with the 5 spreader rig, then see in the video at 29 seconds how far it is blown over with bare poles. I expect a few drinks were spilled on board that boat as well.

There was an explanation of what happened to the cat on cruisers forum. After sailing they had not removed the main halyard from the top of the mainsail, just zipped up the sail bag with it still attached. The strength of the wind pulling on the halyard broke the sail bag zip and started raising the mainsail - and then it was game over. Moral of the story - don't be lazy. Remove your main halyard from the sail when you pack up.