Catalytic heaters

iainmillett

Visit site
Looking to keep my boat from being too damp and musty over the winter months - I'm seeking to install a cataytic heater.

I'm hoping this will be slow burning (enough to keep going for a week or 2) and be a serious attempt to stave off the damp etc.

Has anyone experience of such things - do they work??

pvb

Visit site
They create damp!!

Catalytic heaters are no different from ordinary burners - they create water as a product of combustion. Get some good ventilation through your boat instead, it'll be far more effective.

iainmillett

Visit site
I'm already using a small crystal type hunidifier.
I'll buy a few more and hope!

My boatyard has limited access to electricity so it looks as though I've no choice anyway. Certainly hunidity is the problem and heating not the answer!

I have read the thread from Peter Hunt's posting - clearly a raw nerve all around at this time of year.

Boathook

Visit site
We used to suffer serious condensation / damp until I made some replacement windows with lots of small holes (stops large insects etc.) and a cover on the outside with entrance at the bottom to stop the rain. End of damp and condensation, well 99% worth, and that includes being afloat last winter.

G

Re: More Damp!!

Any burner which does not have a flue to exhaust gases from the cabin with create damp.
Try increasing ventilation - perhaps solar powered vents? The little crystal trays are quite effective on a small scale, perhaps in a locker.

G

The only problem with crystals is the acidity once they start taking up moisture .... beware them falling over onto anything 'delicate' !
Another way is to use common household salt in trays .... in my holiday hom, we lay-up with trays of salt in cupboards, rooms etc. effectively. My partner complains, but I keep the plastic containers that a lot of Chinky Take-aways use now-adays for this job. They are ideal size and reasonably high sided. You will find that salt will clump and create a hard surface once moisture is absorbed .... shake the tray, break the surface and its good for another month. To finally reduce cost, the salt can actually be dried out for re-use in a warm oven, dry non-humid area ......
With all crystals / salt etc. most people spread it out flat in the tray, OK but once its flat, take a thin stick or thick wire and draw 'furrows' across the surface so that it looks like a ploughed field ..... why ???? It increases the surface area exposed to the air significantly.

Finally the trick to smelly damp boats ..... good ventilation, remember that in winter the air is less able to carry moisture as in summer ...... I leave all on my boat, sleeping bags, pillows etc. etc and I have no problem. My washboard has a permanent vent grill, my heads has a mushroom vent half open, my forecabin has a protected vent .. so air moves through ok.