CAT C12 momentary loss of revs

CMJ

Visit site
Hi All,

3 times now recently whilst running at about 2000rpm the starboard motor has lost power/revs (down to about 1000rpm) for 2 to 3 seconds, and then picked back up and continued as normal for the rest of the journey. 3 times on the last 3 trips. It’s happened both on the flybridge and lower helm.

Engines have ~1,100 hours on them now and I’ve serviced them myself annually from 9months old (boat is year 2006, Azimut 50)….last service about 6months ago. I also got Finning UK to clean and inspect the aftercoolers which they did about 4 months ago. Up until this issue, the engines have never lost a beat.

The last time it happened was yesterday – it’s very apparent obviously as apart from the change in tone, the boat starts veering off to the right. Water temps were normal at the time (always 90 to 92degC), and no alarms were logged on the electronic displays attached to the engines via J1939 backbone. Also, no alarms showing on the ZF control boxes for each engine in the engine room before I switched off the engines yesterday. I unplugged and plugged all connections to these a few days back. I have also visually checked the remote fuel filters (just by peering at the glass bowls and they seem clear…..was wondering about Diesel bug which we’ve never had to date).

So, I’m trying to eliminate what may be the cause. I’ve been thinking maybe swapping the ZF control boxes around if this can be done without some sort of calibration.

Anyway, any thoughts from you wise bunch as to the cause would be great and really appreciated as I’m keen to get this fixed asap.

Thanks.

MapisM

Visit site
710hp Acert version?
Regardless, I would ask a Cat engineer to connect the computer diagnostic for a complete check, before trying to swap/replace anything.
Some momentary error conditions could not be visible on the onboard display, but hopefully they might be identified with the diagnostic system.