cartridge type oil filters

pappaecho

Visit site
Never had a problem in changing the engine oil filters on my twin Mermaid engines, until last weekend.

The filter bowl would not seal. Consulted supplier who explained that the cartridge type filters are expected to compress slightly. On comparison with the old filter cartridge and the new one which failed to seal, there was 1.5mm difference in height. The supplier apologised and provided a different make of filter which is fully oil tight.

Never knew that the cartridge is designed to crush down by 2-3mm

aquapower

Visit site
Never had a problem in changing the engine oil filters on my twin Mermaid engines, until last weekend.

The filter bowl would not seal. Consulted supplier who explained that the cartridge type filters are expected to compress slightly. On comparison with the old filter cartridge and the new one which failed to seal, there was 1.5mm difference in height. The supplier apologised and provided a different make of filter which is fully oil tight.

Never knew that the cartridge is designed to crush down by 2-3mm

The cartridge is usually held in place by a disc with a spring behind it, never known of one that should be crushed.

Latestarter1

Visit site
The cartridge is usually held in place by a disc with a spring behind it, never known of one that should be crushed.

100% correct, pleated paper cartridge with rubber seal held in place with a spring. Crush......Complete nonsense.

Can OP pre warn the Forum of make of offending element.

pappaecho

Visit site
I took my old Fleetguard LF598 filter to the supplier along with the Mann filter which would not seal. There was 1.5 mm difference in height after it was "used" We also measured a new Fleetguard filter and it was about 2.5 mm higher than the used one. Fitted the new filter and then took it out again and now same height as old one.

The diesel expert obviously knows more than bull ****

Freebee

Visit site
I was 16 years with Ac Delco who were a leading filter manufacturers. Cartridge elements were never meant to be crushed. there was always a spring arrangement of some sort that took up the slack and allowed the filter to seal. If the element was crushed there was a very big chance that the pleats would rupture and allow bypassing, hence this was to be avoided at all costs.