Caribbean Charter

Foxy

www.yachtfoxglove.com
Afternoon all

I'm looking to charter a yacht or two in Feb for couple of weeks (big birthday) and wondered if any current cruisers have any hot tips on companies/bases etc. Particularly in the Grenadines. Might go as far North as Martinique and end South if that's an option.
Have sailed Foxglove there for a couple of years but that was 10 years ago so would be interested in knowing what's changed. Rest of crew will be newbies to the area.
Sailed a fair bit in Cuba too and would consider there, but distances might be a bit much for the new crew.

Of forgot about Bahamas.... That would be an option too but bit worried about the weather early/mid feb......

any thoughts?

Cheers

pat

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
I am retired and liveaboard full time in the Eastern Caribbean. In your position I would charter out of Blue lagoon in St Vincent or Union Island. A one way charter from St Lucia to Grenada would also be comfortable.

I I would avoid chartering out of St Lucia or Martinique with the intention of visiting the Grenadines as having to make the passage from Bequia/St Vincent back to St Lucia on a schedule at that time of the year might lead you to having to battle North in a 25 - 30 knot north Easterly. A miserable 60 mile finish to your dream holiday.

Barefoot charters are the cheapies with older boats. Dream Yacht charters are a step up. Horizon operate out of St Vincent and may be the best of the bunch.

Catamarans are taking over from monos.

Oh yes Bahamas in Feb can be brrr esp the Abacos.

Foxy

www.yachtfoxglove.com
Thanks TQA just what i was looking for. didn't realise you could charter out of union, whereabouts ? is jonty still there with happy island? I'm not sure but thought we might have met when we were cruising in about 2006-2010. bit not sure. are you on a cat?

Foxy

www.yachtfoxglove.com
Thanks TQA just what i was looking for. didn't realise you could charter out of union, whereabouts ? is jonty still there with happy island? I'm not sure but thought we might have met when we were cruising in about 2006-2010. bit not sure. are you on a cat?

ah just seen the boat, so prob wasn't you! Wonder who it was then, he was def on the forum.....

typhoonNige

Visit site
Horizon also operate out of Granada. Another company worth considering are Sail Grenadines who operate out of Bequia but will deliver boats to St. Vincent and Union if required.

TQA

The problem with starting from Grenada at that time of year is that the sail up to Carriacou is often a really tough beat to windward and even the most weatherly of boats finish up miles downwind and down current when they are level with Tyrel Bay.

Chris Doyle advises motor sailing round the top of Grenada to the pointy volcano before striking out toward Carriacou, even then it can be a lumpy old sail.

RupertW

Visit site
The problem with starting from Grenada at that time of year is that the sail up to Carriacou is often a really tough beat to windward and even the most weatherly of boats finish up miles downwind and down current when they are level with Tyrel Bay.

Chris Doyle advises motor sailing round the top of Grenada to the pointy volcano before striking out toward Carriacou, even then it can be a lumpy old sail.

I agree with this too - our first Caribbean charter was almost spoilt by starting from the bottom of Grenada as with just a week's charter, night 1 was at base, night 2 was short sail around to True Blue bay to get used to the boat before the long sail and night 3 was at the end of a very long sail/motor upwind and current to end up in a huge anchorage with no time to go ashore or swim. So the first real afternoon swim and night out was night 4, with instructions to get back to base for night 6.

So charters after that were one way St Lucia to Canouan, St Vincent and back (2 weeks) and from Canouan itself a couple of times. All much better and more enjoyable.

Bajansailor

Visit site
ah just seen the boat, so prob wasn't you! Wonder who it was then, he was def on the forum.....

Could that have been the legendary TCM (Matt) with Mojomo?

I think that Happy Island is still working well on the reef in Clifton Harbour (although I haven't been there for a couple of years). It is interesting to be sitting there at happy hour just before sunset, a cold Hairoun in hand, watching the kite surfers zooming up and down, and occasionally leaping over the entire island.........
There is a photo of Happy Island at the top of the page about Union Island in Chris Doyle's brief online guide :
http://www.doyleguides.com/Union.html

The international airport in St Vincent seems to be way behind schedule hence I doubt that there will be flights landing there by February. So if starting a charter from SVG you would probably have to fly to Barbados, St Lucia or Grenada first, and then take your chances with LIAT. Although they have got better in the last couple of years, with the acquisition of a fleet of new aeroplanes.

Last edited:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
The international airport in St Vincent seems to be way behind schedule hence I doubt that there will be flights landing there by February. So if starting a charter from SVG you would probably have to fly to Barbados, St Lucia or Grenada first, and then take your chances with LIAT. Although they have got better in the last couple of years, with the acquisition of a fleet of new aeroplanes.
We flew into Barbados then changed to a local flight in a Twin Otter. Can't remember the airline :ambivalence: but it might have been SVG Air.

TQA

Yes Jonty's happy island is still going strong and Jonty is as idiosyncratic as ever.

For those flying into Barbados late and worrying about the tight transfer time to make the connection to Liat or SVGair staff at Barbados airport are aware of the issue and make special arrangements to get you and your luggage onto your connection.

LIAT is working hard to overcome the Luggage In Another Terminal and Leave Islands Any Time tags.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Look at www.latesail.com caribbean section, it's the world's largest discounted yacht charter company - 700 charter companies 5,000 to 7,000 boats available. Choose where you want to go, or keep an eye on a few places, for prices. Then just before six month of the charter date you choose click on 'Request a quote' under it is 'Name your price'. Bear in mind the yachts are already discounted so make an offer 10 to 15% below the offer price. The reason for six months is that is when Caribbean flights are cheapest, Europe is three months.

Latesail also has a subsidiary site for one way charters: http://www.sailoneway.com/?c=uk If they have them in the Caribbean at the date you want make sure it is one way north to south, often they are deliveries. A said sailing north can be a pig. The same is true in Greece which has lots of large discounts for charter yacht deliveries, go north/south too. All one ways are so highly discounted don't use 'Name your price'.

Andrew Topham

Visit site
Try Ulrich and DSL Charters Rodney Bay St.Lucia. Its a day light sail south from the Pitons in SLU to Bequia for customs and you are right amongst it.
Easy flights to SLU. Thomas Cook flights from Manc currently £400 return.
Any questions ask I run Boatshed St.Lucia.