Caribbean Antifoul

emnick

Visit site
Hi can anybody recommend what antifoul to put on . Mainly windward and leeward islands at moment.
Fibreglass hull .
Some of the Seahawk products seem good but wow... expensive .
Thanks for any help

t21

Visit site
It's warm water out here and gunge or barnies or a combination will always stick on a bit. I have Coppercoat, the main reason being you can scrape it with snorkel or blast it once lifted without having to repaint. It's not a cure-all but it does survive a long long time, easily long enough to get the money back. The snorkelling/scraping is also a bit of exercise altho that might or might not be an advantage...

t21

Visit site
I have thought of coppercoat not sure that I would get a decent job done out here !

Good point but ... i think there are suitable folk? I suppose the best way to find out would be to talk to a yard and wait for them to enthusiastically bang on and on about how they'd do it, how they did previous boats and so on. It's been mainstream stuff for a while now, at least a decade, so altho there were some early screwups in application ... i think it quite sorted with lots of expertise now. I saw a boat in Antigua getting done with the stuff in Jolly harbour around March so yerknow, have some chats? It's easier to do a good job in applying Ccoat above 20degrees C (and i think might be their recommendation...) and 20C bit of an issue in UK/Nothern Europe but easy peasy in or near the tropics - it needs the warmer air temp for the stuff to go tacky once applied so you can apply the nest coat and the next at speed - if it's too cold then the second coat can kinda pull the first still-gloopy-not-so-tacky coat off...