Cardigan Bay will be closed to shipping weekdays from 6th to 24th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telstar26

www.parkerseal.org.uk
Aberporth range is active!
Message from MOD Aberporth:
We have a Trial activity coming up which starts on the 6th of June, running for three weeks (unless if they complete earlier). Unfortunately this Trial has one of the biggest weapon safety traces that we use, which results in us needing to keep most of the bay clear of shipping.

Hopefully the map below gives you an idea of the size of the safety trace (yellow circle – 18NM), and we realise that it is a lot to ask but can you remain clear of this area from 09:00 through to 16:30 each week day (not weekends).

We realise that the sailing season is now getting underway and that you have a lot of activities planned, but can we ask that you make your members aware of our Trial activity and ask that they steer around the safety area during this period please. We will be making hourly broadcasts on IMM channel 16 and 11 throughout the day, and you can also get in contact by phone by dialling 01239 813 760.

chartlet.jpg

sarabande

Visit site
I think one can assume that if the MOD could have scheduled it for a less popular time, they would have done so. Chances are that the missile/gunnery activity is related to the war in Ukraine, and that MoD has urgent need of Cardigan Bay in the absence of an alternative range.

I think the boating/fishing community should just suck this up and accept the relatively small loss of access time.

Seven Spades

Visit site
That's an awful detour. It is a pity they didn't do it out in the atlantic somewhere. lots of boat will be transiting that location during June particularly those going to Scotland for the summer.

sarabande

Visit site
Sorry, Seven, but a couple of minutes with Google Earth would show you that the centre of the exclusion zone is about 25 miles from the Aberporth range.

And surprise, surprise, Snake Island (Zmiinyi) is some 20 miles from the nearest chunk of Ukrainian land.

I wonder if the two could possibly be connected, and the canteen is serving borscht and chicken kiev ?

Telstar26

www.parkerseal.org.uk
There's been an update from Qinetiq:
I just want to clarify that the Aberporth Range only operates within the Cardigan Bay danger area (white lines – Western areas only activated for certain Trials), so the circle does not extend past the danger area to the East, only to the West. We also don’t operate over land, so even though the danger area does pass over land in some places, we do not.

There is a sea passage available close to the shore around Aberporth, Cardigan and New Quay where vessels will be able to transit but it is difficult to draw on the map, so I just want to make you aware of that; by contacting Aberporth Marine Control on phone or using IMM channel 16, 11 and 74, we will be able to arrange passage around the coast during these days.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
According to the byelaws,they cannot prevent a leisure craft from passing through the range area.
A lot depends upon whether you fancy arguing with the latest equivalent of an Exocet or not.

You wouldn't be arguing with anything other than the range control and the safety boat crews

With one, and only one, exception (Sheerness*) all coastal ranges around the UK operate on a clear range procedure

If you want to make a passage across the range area you have the legal right to do so. A passage is all you can make though, you can't waffle around, turn back half way across (unless forced to by unforseen circumstances) etc.

Now whether it is appropriate to stand on your rights is another matter. My attitude is that I'll comply with the REQUEST (for that is what it is) if at all possible provided it does not pose a risk to my boat or crew and as long as it does not unduly impact on our passage plans (e.g. causing us to miss a tidal gate, be at sea longer than necessary with a weather system closing in, that sort of thing. It hasn't come to that yet and may never do so but if it came to pass I would assert my right of passage if I had to)

There is an inshore passage that can be used.

Pardon me for being cynical but I rather suspect they came up with the inshore passage plan when they realised how negatively their notice was being received!

* Sheerness range is unique in having it's own set of (not easy to find!) byelaws. All the other ranges operate on the same standard set of byelaws. All the other ranges operate a "clear range" procedure as mentioned above. With Sheerness closed means closed! There is no right of passage under any circumstances. As this only affects entry and exit from the Havengore over extensive drying mud flats, it isn't a major imposition

Mister E

Visit site
The inshore passage has been in place for years.
It is simple enough to do a proper passage plan with modern weather forecast.
I am in the area and do hear yachts being contacted in the range area. I hope these people will pay the extra costs due to them being there.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I have no problem at all with Aberporth ‘closing’ areas around Cardigan Bay, the test they are doing have to be done somewhere and as this area has a relatively low volume of shipping, both commercial and leisure, combined with only the occasional disruption better here than in more active areas.
No, of course Aberporth don’t ‘own’ Cardigan Bay, but we are all aware of the areas they operate in, and we used to regularly use their ‘targets’ for race marks (when they were not operational!).

Stemar

Visit site
I don't think freedom is too big a word to use. Given the current situation a bit east of here and one of the personalities involved, we may need whatever they're testing to work sooner than we think.

Well done Qinetiq for the inner passage. I would think a good proportion of countries of the world would just get on with the live firing, possible announcing in advance, possibly not (security, innit). If you're in the way, tough luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.