car moored in the thames

dharl

www.mhpa.co.uk
O gosh yesssssssssss .Nice precis 100% Spot on :):):)
Ahem on the other hand ...handbrakes are of course very complicated and technical pieces of kit.

was always taught to leave a car in gear for such a reason :cool: ...MBOH always complains when I do so in the car :confused: ...but I have never had a car slip away from me either! She has...but not with the same result as in Henley! :D

oldgit

Visit site
some new vehicles require you to push a button on the dash to "set" to handbrake,some automatically release when you pull away,others you have to have your foot on the brake and push thre button again to release and pull away .
Some have a hold on hill until throttle depressed system.
New Toyotas are blessed with one of these options.

teddington_lock

Visit site
Cars with disc brakes all round tend to have handbrake shoes on the inside of the hub , that operate much the same as an old skool drum brake.

The pads don't grab onto the disc when you set the handbrake.

dash300

Visit site
It used to be a common problem with handbrake operating pads on very hot discs.
When disc cooled it contracted and the grip of the pad on the disc reduced and cars strangely started rolling if on a slope.Now somehow they appear to have overcome this problem or have they?

No Regrets

Visit site
That was the Citroen Xantia.

Crummy french idea, use the calipers instead of having a proper drum brake for the parking device!

Toyota should be fine. That was the 'Woman' :p

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Well I have four modern cars on my drive (Not all mine, the kids etc.) all with rear disk brakes and only one (Range Rover) has handbrake shoes, the rest have normal pistons with a spring loaded arm to "pressure" the piston for handbrake operation along with "non return" pistons that need a special tool to wind them back in when replacing pads, so I dont agree that most have shoes as a random sample of my own cars shows pads to be prevalent.
However, all the cars with this mechanism are small cars