Cape Verde

cdogg

Visit site
Hi, My son is considering a 12 months posting to Cape Verde he will be working on several of the islands. Has anyone had experience spending time there (not a brief holiday). I.e. is it generally safe, friendly to UK residents etc. although Portuguese is the main language is English spoken widely enough to get by living there. The weather web seems to suggest a good temperature all year round but is it humid. Also does it suffer from mosquitoes?
I will of course trawl the usual web sites, but any first hand advice would be appreciated.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I read an article by an author who went there for a couple of months to write a book ... said the locals were anything but friendly ... I'd often wondered about the place but after reading his article and his reasons I crossed the place off the list.

Boomshanka

Visit site
I was there for a week in November last year (Sao Vicente)... I'm not a seasoned traveller off the beaten track so others might feel different... but I didn't feel safe (especially if not walking around with at least one other person)... muggings at night were experienced (not by me personally). I think that the main island (Sal?) might be more touristy, which I think is the root of the problem... there are hugh contrasts between locals and visitors wealth levels and the locals understandably want their share.

Go cautiously would be my advice.

Heckler

Visit site
Hi, My son is considering a 12 months posting to Cape Verde he will be working on several of the islands. Has anyone had experience spending time there (not a brief holiday). I.e. is it generally safe, friendly to UK residents etc. although Portuguese is the main language is English spoken widely enough to get by living there. The weather web seems to suggest a good temperature all year round but is it humid. Also does it suffer from mosquitoes?
I will of course trawl the usual web sites, but any first hand advice would be appreciated.
Read Stingos blogs about Capo Verde, he wasnt impressed, I worked in Angola with Portuguese for many years, they looked down on the Capos.
Boomshanka got it about right
Stu

Poignard

Visit site
In his fine book 'On the Wings of a Dream', Commander Victor Clarke describes how he shot a thief whilst there but the local police chief considered it justifiable and did not prosecute him.

haydude

Visit site
I have been there in an holiday resort and it was fantastic. But I read also of a family who left their yacht there, went back to Europe for a week or two and did not find it on their return.

Sanderling_

Visit site
Would suggest that you try to avoid showing his Mother the above comments.

Being the husband of the Mum of an itinerant traveller, I do have experience of releasing too much information!!! If he does go, you be careful.

Tony

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Thanks for all your comments, not what he had hoped for - obviously!
Anyone actually had a good experience? Need a straw to grasp at.
Yes, I was there (Mindelo) with my family on our boat for over a week. Had a wonderful time, went on a day trip around the island. The locals were very proud of being independent from the Portuguese.

Only one person got stabbed in the anchorage but I think it was a man, local boy thing (if you know what I mean :cool:) - but that was after we left so doesn't count.

Quite a few, very poor people, from mainland Africa had arrived & I think that maybe caused a few problems.

BUT, I'm afraid all this was back in 1993 (& it had a reputation back then).

Would I go again - I think so.

Would I live there for a year - probably not, but I think it would be an interesting experience for a resilient, adaptable (young?) person.

Feel better now? :)

AndrewB

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments, not what he had hoped for - obviously!
Anyone actually had a good experience? Need a straw to grasp at.
We had a good time for a month in Mindelo - the locals were friendly and helpful as we tried to get repairs done. With sensible precautions, petty crime was not a problem.

By contrast the rest of the country was not good, and I would not return.

Incidentally, because of the African immigrants, French is as widely spoken as Portuguese, certainly in Mindelo.