Canopy water proofing

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Anyone tried painting a very old tired canopy with a mix of mastic and white spirit to make it water resistant ?
I heard about it so tested on an old bed sheet and the sample held water tight for an hour . Over four hours its leaked half the water .

Momac

Visit site
Anyone tried painting a very old tired canopy with a mix of mastic and white spirit to make it water resistant ?
I heard about it so tested on an old bed sheet and the sample held water tight for an hour . Over four hours its leaked half the water .
Would it be easier to use Fabsil Gold?

neil_s

Visit site
From a Backwoods youyube site - how to make oil cloth - 16 oz beeswax, 8 oz turpentine, 8 oz boiled linseed oil. Melt the beeswax and add the rest. allow to cool and apply with a rag. Finish off with a heat gun.

Yngmar

Visit site

I didn't try a larger area, but the cockpit tent seams I've treated thusly have stopped leaking, but needed repeat applications. Slighty darkened the canvas where applied. Not sure how well it will stand up to kinking the fabric extensively though. We usually roll it up.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
18 months ago I used inflatable paint to put a UV strip on a furling headsail (PS magazine). Not a chip yet, I sailed it, tacked, and furled it countless times. Can't tell from 10 feet away. Totally waterproof, I'm sure.

Rappey

Visit site
PVA glue breaks down outside as it does not like water ;) (after it has well and truly dried ! )