can you recommend an insurer

SC35

Visit site
GJW are competitive, but terrible customer service - and not pleasant to deal with if you have a claim

It sounds as if your experience was sub-par, but this is not the experience of many.
When a sailing yacht smacked into me whilst moored in the marina, it was settled rapidly and efficiently, but that was quite a simple case with obvious "fault".

danieleither

Visit site
It sounds as if your experience was sub-par, but this is not the experience of many.
When a sailing yacht smacked into me whilst moored in the marina, it was settled rapidly and efficiently, but that was quite a simple case with obvious "fault".
They are decent enough when you want to get a quote, renew or take out a new policy - which will be the extent of most people's dealings with them :)

Tranona

Visit site
They are decent enough when you want to get a quote, renew or take out a new policy - which will be the extent of most people's dealings with them :)
Don't know what your issue was with them, but they have been commended here many times for their claim handling.

By their very nature insurance claims are often problematic and inevitably some claimants end up involved in a dispute with the insurer. However the vast majority of claims are settled promptly and satisfactorily - if it were otherwise insurers would not stay in business and GJW have been at it for a long time.

steveeasy

Visit site
GJW are competitive, but terrible customer service - and not pleasant to deal with if you have a claim
I was taken aback by how helpful and efficient they were in handling a claim I made to them them last year. The incident that lead to my claim was entirely my fault and in all probability I was negligent. They asked for a couple of quotes. within 3 days agreed to repairs. Then I discovered further damage and within an hour agreed to fund the additional work. instantly paid out on completion of the works. my annual premium then decreased the next year.

It will take 15 years premium for the company to recover the amount they paid out. Way beyond my expectations.

Steveeasy

DougOut

Visit site
And another positive experience with GJW. We ran onto something underwater badly damaging one prop and slightly less so on the other. Had the boat lifted and sent them the engineers report. Two new props required. GJW accepted the claim within a few hours and the boatyard given the go-ahead. On pulling the props they found one of the prop shafts bent and recommended replacement. The cutlass bearing were shot as well probably because of the bent prop. Again GJW approved extra work by return. On reassembly the alignment was out but GJW covered that as well. Finally they agreed to transport the boat back to her home marina as the river was on red boards. The total claim came to almost £20k so I was expecting the renewal to be eyewatering. I was surprised and delighted when I opened renewal to find it had gone up by just £90!