Can you recommend a low cost service to tow my boat home?

Windway

Visit site
Would anyone know of a reasonably priced haulier who could collect my 21 foot trailer sailer from the boat yard in Sheppey and bring her home to North Wales? She is on the trailer, no cranes required just connect to a towball. Distance from Sheppey to Bala according to Google is 262 miles. Currently I am without a tow car, hence the enquiry. Thanks.

KeithH

Visit site
This may be a stupid thought - but why dont you hire a vehicle with towbar? I know that you can find car/van hire companies with vehicles fitted with tow hooks, as I have done it myself.

Might be worth checking with smaller local hire companies, rather than the big ones.

Balbas

Visit site
Try Shiply (google it). When I've needed stuff moving they've come up trumps. Basically you put your requirements in and then hauliers / independents bid for your business.

In my case I've had stuff loaded onto a lorry that was otherwise going to be doing an empty return run.

lw395

Visit site
There are people whose main business is delivering caravans.
There used to be a boat delivery service advertised on ebay.
I would look at hiring a van, or bribing a mate.

Visit site
Try Shiply (google it). When I've needed stuff moving they've come up trumps. Basically you put your requirements in and then hauliers / independents bid for your business.

In my case I've had stuff loaded onto a lorry that was otherwise going to be doing an empty return run.

Shiply is good, use the feedback scores (bit like ebay) to select the right offer. It also has the facility to let you know how well insured they are...

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I hire a Transit from one of those companies that hire out older vans because the ones that use newer vehicles are a bit precious about towbars. I pay £40 for a day and it's a bargain when you consider that you can bung all the tools and gear in it that wouldn't fit into an ordinary car.

And normally you'd need someone guiding you back to align ball and hitch, but because previous hirers haven't bothered if you set the ball height for it you can just reverse back until you bump your trailer with the pock-marked van bumper.

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
This may be a stupid thought - but why dont you hire a vehicle with towbar? I know that you can find car/van hire companies with vehicles fitted with tow hooks, as I have done it myself.

Might be worth checking with smaller local hire companies, rather than the big ones.

I had to hire a tow car once, it was an extremely expensive and stressful time because it was a top of the range 4x4. I had to go 20 miles to pick the car up, drive back, pick the boat up, tow it 100 miles, launch it, tow the trailer back home, return the vehicle and then catch the train back to the boat.

They went over the vehicle including the load space/boot with a fine toothed comb when I returned it.

peteK

Visit site
Depending on when you passed your driving test not everyone is entitled to tow a trailer other than a very small one so all these posts about hiring a vehicle with a towbar may not be applicable.

Cantata

Visit site
Go and see Jim Brett in Queenborough High Street - yard near the top end. He used to do boat deliveries, and will likely know who can help you out.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Depending on when you passed your driving test not everyone is entitled to tow a trailer other than a very small one so all these posts about hiring a vehicle with a towbar may not be applicable.

The restrictions aren't that bad.

Qz1lHd9.png