Can you add cheaper rope tails to Dyneema halliards?

Cantata

Visit site
Thinking of upgrading my genoa halliard to Dyneema, and trying to save some money - is it feasible to join a standard 8mm braid-on-braid polyester line to a Dyneema line, in much the same way that wire halliards used to have rope tails? If I could do this I would save about 10m of Dyneema which ain't cheap.
If it's feasible, is the method of doing it written up anywhere?

Last edited:

Cantata

Visit site
OK, peeps saying a thicker tail is better. But how to join them? Milk the polyester outer braid over the end of the Dyneema and stitch though?

William_H

Visit site
I would say just bite the bullet and buy enough dyneema for the job. However when I bought spectra for my jib halyard I foolishly did not buy it long enough. I have had now for a few seasons a join of spectra to polyester tail. A simple sewing of outer covers. This does not look pretty but in this case the join does not take a lot of load. By the time the jib is hoisted a meter or so then the join has been passed such that all pulling on the halyard is on spectra. No problem then with it around a winch in my case then a horn cleat.
So I imagine for the OP a join would be passed long before you put any real load on the halyard. I would not like to see a lot of load on the join however. ie dyneema must be long enough to reach the winch and clutch. Just a few thoughts olewill

Last edited:

estarzinger

www.bethandevans.com
There are two options for the polyester tail and splices specific to each.

The easiest option is to use a 12 strand single braid polyester rope. Then you use a simple 12 strand to 12 strand end to end splice to join it to the dyneema. I can give you a link, but all the rope MFGs have instructions for this.

The slightly harder option is to use the more common polyester double braid. In that case, you push back the cover, and do the above 12 strand to 12 strand end to end splice between the dyneema and the polyester core, then slide the cover back over the line and unbraid a bit of the end of the cover into several bundles and bury them (tapered).