can I

sundancer

Visit site
I have a 22ft searay power v6 4.3 engine (can be thirsty. petrol) 4 berth.
could I live aboard, could i sail her via Gib and into the med or would the back of a lorry be better.???
my idea was to live aboard around the greek isles etc and explore.
all donations towards church roof restoration !!!
cheers
james

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Your Searay will be good fun in the Med but not across the Bay of Biscay. It will cost you a fortune in fuel and be unpleasent. To get it taken by lorry will be about £3000-£4000 Why not trail it down?.
It's a small livaboard so consider spending short periods aboard then renting an apartment near to the marinas for the odd week. Because Med diesel is not untaxed as in the UK then the cost advantage in diesel against petrol is not so significant.
hope this helps a little
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
No way you will be able to bring it via gib, you would not be able to carry enough fuel. trucking would be better. Diesel is cheap in the meddy countries, but not as cheap as uK, (half pump prices) petrol is as expensive in the meddy as in the UK. I would consider changing your boat to a diesel powered boat and still trucking it down. IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StuDryden

Visit site
i have been constantly over on mainland spain, the balearics and the canaries recently and the petrol is approx €0.55 ( £0.39 ) per litre, and better still diesel is the same, so most marinas carry both, unlike up here in hartlepool where you can only get the red stuff, so i would say go for it,

i priced up the trailer option but it is more cost effective to take it yourself and more fun of course

i have a 2655 bayliner, and i am to be using that as a liveabord come May 2004, we (my better half and myself plus our 2 cats) are planning to go down through the french canals at a very lesiurely pace and then down to the Balearics before heading to the Canaries,

this is our long term plan, after selling our house recently and wanting to get out of the hassle of working, bills, cold weather (granted not recently), etc... - wouldnt think i am only 21 ! ! !

<hr width=100% size=1>I dont care if its a BAYLINER and PETROL it rocks

ccscott49

Visit site
Are you telling me petrol is £1.75 a gallon in Spain? Diesel is €0.77 a litre in Vilanova, duty paid. I'm not sure where you get your figures from, but I know petrol is more expensive than diesel, so I just wondered. I'll check up though. I just checked, petrol in Alcudia, mallorca is €0.90 to 0.97 a litre. Depends where you buy it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sundancer

Visit site
thanks for the interesting post. i envy you. would love to follow you through the french canals although once in the med you would turn right,me left, to greek isles.
just two thoughts for you. have you checked the documents/ qualifications you need to go through france.
also, not sure of your boat but is she ok for steering at the slow river pace. mine would have difficulty constantly correcting river pasage.
i`m not sure on them points but hope it may help you.
bon voyage.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
You could think about those add on rudder thingies, they may help with the canals.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StuDryden

Visit site
those are ludicrously high prices where you are quoting, they must have seen you coming to charge that, diesel is still cheaper but literally by 4-5 cents per litre

<hr width=100% size=1>I dont care if its a BAYLINER and PETROL it rocks

ccscott49

Visit site
I can garauntee, that is the price for diesel in barcelona and vilanova, also port olympic. petrol may well be 4-5 cents a litre more expensive and believe me I shop around for diesel. Petrol I got the price from somebody else, who may well be wrong, but it's certainly not as cheap as you say. I paid €0.77 a litre for diesel at the last place. That was 3 cents a litre cheaper than Barca. We need some confirmation on this, I dont believe anybody ripped me off, that was the price on the pumps.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Thats what I thought, I don't know what the other guy is talking about, I've never seen diesel or petrol for the price he is talking about, otherwise people would be smuggling the petrol by the tanker load! I certainly would!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
That was then, it's gone up a bit!! But it seems to do that, fluctuate, I've got it for less, once! €0.60, but I did load 600 gallons! from a little tanker chappie.

<hr width=100% size=1>