Can I use old white diesel ?

Rafiki

Visit site
I have a 15 litre can of white fully taxed diesel that has been sitting in my garage since 2019. Will it be OK to use, either in my boat engine (Volvo D2-40) or car engine Euro 6 compliant in a 2016 Mazda 6.

In other words does supermarket dioesel "go off" in the same way petrol would.

Refueler

Visit site
I used to work for an oil company and they often advise against using old lube oil and gasoline (petrol).

Here is an article that seems to be good advice.

Does Diesel Go Bad and How Long Does It Last?

Sorry but that article you linked to is not as good as it first appears ...

There are three major factors that affect all middle and light Distillates in storage (Gasoil through to Gasoline)

1. Heat
2. Light
3. Oxygen

The article makes heavy on water ..... we'll assume that person storing the fuel is not silly enough to have or get water in the container. Any water occurrence is easily sorted anyway .... decant fuel - add a drop of Biocide and forget about it.

OK - The first two factors , Heat and Light - these cause degradation of the fuel and usual visual indicator can be slight change of colour. The third factor - Oxygen ... this causes gums and further degradation of the fuel.
Those three factors once having had result are difficult to cure. But they are easy to prevent.

Store in dark container, good fitting cap tightly closed, in a cool area out of direct sunshine / heat. Back of a garage is usually good ..
Gasoil (Diesel of all grades) will happily store like that for long periods ...

The article also ignores the fact that Gasoil (Diesel) is often stored for significant periods in large terminal tanks .... can be from 100 to over 50,000 tons one tank. Then is shipped around the oceans .... voyages can be just hours to weeks ... I've actually sailed a ship that carried 100,000 tons for over 40 days.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I have a 15 litre can of white fully taxed diesel that has been sitting in my garage since 2019. Will it be OK to use, either in my boat engine (Volvo D2-40) or car engine Euro 6 compliant in a 2016 Mazda 6.

In other words does supermarket dioesel "go off" in the same way petrol would.
yes

nigel1

Visit site
Sorry but that article you linked to is not as good as it first appears ...

There are three major factors that affect all middle and light Distillates in storage (Gasoil through to Gasoline)

1. Heat
2. Light
3. Oxygen

The article makes heavy on water ..... we'll assume that person storing the fuel is not silly enough to have or get water in the container. Any water occurrence is easily sorted anyway .... decant fuel - add a drop of Biocide and forget about it.

OK - The first two factors , Heat and Light - these cause degradation of the fuel and usual visual indicator can be slight change of colour. The third factor - Oxygen ... this causes gums and further degradation of the fuel.
Those three factors once having had result are difficult to cure. But they are easy to prevent.

Store in dark container, good fitting cap tightly closed, in a cool area out of direct sunshine / heat. Back of a garage is usually good ..
Gasoil (Diesel of all grades) will happily store like that for long periods ...

The article also ignores the fact that Gasoil (Diesel) is often stored for significant periods in large terminal tanks .... can be from 100 to over 50,000 tons one tank. Then is shipped around the oceans .... voyages can be just hours to weeks ... I've actually sailed a ship that carried 100,000 tons for over 40 days.
Only 100,000 tons, over 400,000 tonnes as Mate on the Esso Atlantic back in the early 90's 😊

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I closed up my boat in Greece in July 2019 with the fuel tank about 3/4 full. I returned to it in September 2022. The engine started within about 10 seconds and ran perfectly on that fuel until it was all consumed some weeks later. I have previously left a diesel VW camper van for seven years while living abroad and it started instantaneously and ran perfectly. I accept that the fuel of today is not quite as it was then but provided no water contaminates it there is no major difference.

Refueler

Visit site
I closed up my boat in Greece in July 2019 with the fuel tank about 3/4 full. I returned to it in September 2022. The engine started within about 10 seconds and ran perfectly on that fuel until it was all consumed some weeks later. I have previously left a diesel VW camper van for seven years while living abroad and it started instantaneously and ran perfectly. I accept that the fuel of today is not quite as it was then but provided no water contaminates it there is no major difference.

Thank you ..... a breath of fresh air ....

Exactly.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I have previously left a diesel VW camper van for seven years while living abroad and it started instantaneously and ran perfectly.

I can raise you that. I used to have a diesel engined X-Yacht. I then had a petrol outboard powered boat for 19 years, but a 20 litre can of red diesel lay mouldering at the back of the garage, cool, dark and sealed. I'm now back to a diesel engined boat again. The old diesel looked fine. Lobbed it in - no problem.

Ribtecer

Visit site
I put stored diesel (couple of years old) in a modern over complicated diesel engine and the car didn't like it, kept going in to limp mode.

Every 100 odd miles I kept topping it up with fresh fuel and the problem slowly got better and then finally went away.

Coincidence??? Perhaps, but I think it was connected.

My boat engine is an older less complicated straight forward engine, wouldn't concern me putting older fuel in that, but not in the car anymore.

Refueler

Visit site
This question comes up so often regardless of whether gasoline or diesel.

If anyone is concerned - then just blend it off with 'fresh' fuel .... there really is no need to bin fuel jusat because its sat at back of locker .. garage etc.

What % you use - its all your choice ....