Can anyone help?

BradleyC

Visit site
Hi all,

I hope someone can help.

A very good friend of mine who lives in Nashville Tennessee recently developed cancer and she has had to have surgery. She is really badly affected by Seasonal Affected Disorder, and the combination of everything she has gone through recently and winter are absolutely flooring her.

I was wondering if anyone has a boat or a house in some nice sunny location, and would be open to her and her mum house sitting for a while? They are both very nice and kind people, and would look after anywhere well. I'd be happy to pay for her flight - we are very old friends and I have known her thirty years.

I just thought if she could get some sun, and get rid of her SAD, then the rest of it might be a bit more bearable.

Can anyone help?

Richard10002

Visit site
I havent got a boat or a house anywhere sunny but, if you cant find some kind soul to help, why not pay for them to go on holiday in the Carribbean for a week or three... I dont know what it might cost, but as it's not far, perhaps it would be like a winter holiday to Tenerife from here, (a couple of years ago I could have added Egypt and tunisia to the destinations from Europe, but now only for the brave and determined).

Does she own some of the lamps that are supposed to help with S.A.D. ? I dont know whether they are for real, or snake oil, but worth a try given the relatively low cost.

BTW I've had my own experience of serious cancer, so kind of know what she must be going through :(

BradleyC

Visit site
Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. Sorting out a holiday for her is my plan B, but as I know that at this time of year a lot of people are making plans to come back to the UK for Christmas, I thought it might be possible to arrange for her and her mum to house sit whilst people came back to the UK for Christmas. I figured that could be a win win, given that if you live on your boat you are often not comfortable leaving it unattended for long, and house sitting could give her the chance to get some sun.

Also, in my experience, it never hurts to ask - sometimes things can just come together!

Sorry to hear that you have also had serious cancer - its a really nasty thing to have to deal with, and changes so many different aspects of your life that pre cancer you tend to take for granted. It also tends to change your ideas of what is important in life, which can be a good thing, but also quite unsettling for a while. That is why I'm trying to arrange a sun break for her, it would help her recuperate physically but also give her some think time to process everything that has happened over the last six months. She does have those light lamps, but you can't really compare a light lamp to sitting somewhere sunny and warm by the sea!

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. Sorting out a holiday for her is my plan B, but as I know that at this time of year a lot of people are making plans to come back to the UK for Christmas, I thought it might be possible to arrange for her and her mum to house sit whilst people came back to the UK for Christmas. I figured that could be a win win, given that if you live on your boat you are often not comfortable leaving it unattended for long, and house sitting could give her the chance to get some sun.

Also, in my experience, it never hurts to ask - sometimes things can just come together!

Sorry to hear that you have also had serious cancer - its a really nasty thing to have to deal with, and changes so many different aspects of your life that pre cancer you tend to take for granted. It also tends to change your ideas of what is important in life, which can be a good thing, but also quite unsettling for a while. That is why I'm trying to arrange a sun break for her, it would help her recuperate physically but also give her some think time to process everything that has happened over the last six months. She does have those light lamps, but you can't really compare a light lamp to sitting somewhere sunny and warm by the sea!

I'm sorry I can't help either, my boat is on the hard in northern Greece so probably worse than where she is now :)

I'm sure if it's mainly sun you're looking for (rather than beach/ prime location) then some sort of late deal would be available for a reasonable cost.

Good luck, it's a nice guesture you're looking to do in such a challenging time.

BradleyC

Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for that. To be honest I'm more than happy to try and sort it out for her. It seems such a silly thing to floor someone - half the planet is bathed in sun at the moment so its hardly a scarce commodity (except in the Northern Hemisphere :(