Camping Dinghies

Lakesailor

Visit site
Scimitar. haven't you been almost there before? Squib has a fin keel as well.

santarosa1.jpg

Simonpk

Visit site
What about a Squib? Heavy, open and designed by Oliver Lee. What's not to like?

Great boats, the Hunter 19 & later Europa uses the same hull & often referred to as a "Squib with a lid"

The only downside for you maybe the fixed keel, about 3ft draft, but this does give more room in the cockpit with no centreboard box.

Sybarite

Visit site
JD, thanks for this it is exactly the sort of information I was looking for and confirms what I had thought. Probably the right boat for me but agree about silly prices.

My son bought a Cornish Cormorant last summer which allows for camping but at about 13' is probably a bit small for you. Lovely boat though.

Sandgrounder

Visit site
Lakey,

You are right, I am increasingly attracted to shallow water sailing a la Dylan, and these wouldn't allow that. The Squib has a fantastic reputation and I'm intrigued by the Scimitar because there was one at the last club I was a member of. The owner kept it on a drying mooring, they all were, with a sort of scaffolding frame around it; how he ever got it out to sail I don't know.

Sailfree

Visit site
New Mk 4 Wayfarer has lots more usable internal space but you are faced with the balance of the compromises large = (usually) more space = more weight. Sea going stability will be another question and not necessarily dependant on size but keel weight (if it has any!).

At my club there is a big fleet of cornish crabbers and many ex-Wayfarer sailors have moved up to them others have gone for bigger cruisers as in our case now with 43'!

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
How about a Kinsman ? lift keel - the fin keel was the Yeoman - and a tasty boat, two at my club now on soft mud moorings.

http://www.ykboats.co.uk/Ykboats.htm

Also the Hunter Tracer which was like a slightly smaller Squib with a lift keel; rare but they gave one away at my club a while ago !

If feeling rich there's always Terry Heards' Falmouth Working Boats or the Memory 19;

View attachment 42739

View attachment 42740

Last edited:

Sandgrounder

Visit site
The Kinsman is definitely on the list. Suitability depends on the ability to use the space below the fordeck. The last one I saw, 14 years ago now, had had the entire area glassed in as buoyancy. That would limit what I could do with it.
The Hunter I will have to investigate.
It's going to be a hard life sifting all these boat particulars!

How about a Kinsman ? lift keel - the fin keel was the Yeoman - and a tasty boat, two at my club now on soft mud moorings.

http://www.ykboats.co.uk/Ykboats.htm

Also the Hunter Tracer which was like a slightly smaller Squib with a lift keel; rare but they gave one away at my club a while ago !

Seajet

Visit site
The Kinsman is definitely on the list. Suitability depends on the ability to use the space below the fordeck. The last one I saw, 14 years ago now, had had the entire area glassed in as buoyancy. That would limit what I could do with it.
The Hunter I will have to investigate.
It's going to be a hard life sifting all these boat particulars!

Next time I'm at the club - Saturday ? - I'll try to get some pics and chat with the owner of a Kinsman and report back.

I took pics of the Tracer but as Oliver Lee designs are visions of such loveliness it burnt out my camera chip; really !

I'll see if I can recover anything, meanwhile if you go to the dark toolbar above this page, on ' Community ' there is a page dedicted to ' The Genius Of Oliver Lee ' by Little Rascal, a Europa owner.

The kinsman looks a good bet to me, there was one next to my boat last winter which is kept toothbrush-immaculate by her owner.

First thing I'd check though is about self draining cockpits; covers don't last long even in our ' Southern Softy ' gales.

Kermit

Visit site
New Mk 4 Wayfarer has lots more usable internal space but you are faced with the balance of the compromises large = (usually) more space = more weight. Sea going stability will be another question and not necessarily dependant on size but keel weight (if it has any!).

At my club there is a big fleet of cornish crabbers and many ex-Wayfarer sailors have moved up to them others have gone for bigger cruisers as in our case now with 43'!

I think the older Wayfarers, the ones with floorboards, are better for cruising. The new ones have solid floor and getting them dry for a night under canvas is harder than the older ones where a little water slopping about in the bilge is not a problem. Also the stern locker is a great place to store an outboard.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It's 3 times more than I am happy paying. But Drascombes have silly values.

I've seen three Longboat Cruisers (the first cabin version) for sale on eBay recently. All looked fine, had good trailers and were ~ £5,000. Yes, I know the OP doesn't want a cabin or a Drascombe, but for anyone who doesn't mind these things, £5k for a cruiser seems bloody good value to me.

dancrane

Visit site
I didn't know till today, that Drascombes are still being built. Granted they're never cheap, but I thought a brand new Lugger would cost more than £14,000.

Lighter than I'd have expected, as well - the 18ft 9inch Lugger is 384kg.