Calor 4.5 Butane discontinued

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I found a 4.5 in the River yesterday. Got me wondering what it could be used for.

I think if one were to cut a round hole in the base with a holesaw (run water across it as a lubricant and to prevent sparks) you could fill it with concrete and random pieces of metal scrap and it could make quite a nice mudweight.

Maybe not quite the right shape but if one of these was heavy enough and plugged into the mud properly I think it would probably hold quite well.

You could get the valve off and replace it with a decent size eyebolt before pouring in the concrete. You put the nut on the eyebolt with an extension bar from socket set. Knock the shroud off with a hammer and you'd have quite a nice setup.

Alternatively perhaps small naval mines could be made to deal with paddle boarders.

Mister E

Visit site
Now we know Calor are discontinuing them, I have two spare empty 4.5Kg butane cylinders which anyone in the highlands is free to collect if they can find a use for them.

I had been hanging onto them in the hope one day of persuading Calor to swap one for a 6Kg Propane, but that is not going to happen now.

Calor claim that you can swop them for 6kg at the moment.
I have not tried this so can't confirm.

plumbob

Visit site
I'll post this anyway but I'm sure everyone knows. You absolutely can take a 4.5kg in and swop it for a 7kg and pay for the gas NOT a whole new agreement etc. You don't need a previous agreement either. Did it yesterday. Luckily I have room for the new cylinder. 495mm tall.

oldgit

Visit site
I'll post this anyway but I'm sure everyone knows. You absolutely can take a 4.5kg in and swop it for a 7kg and pay for the gas NOT a whole new agreement etc. You don't need a previous agreement either. Did it yesterday. Luckily I have room for the new cylinder. 495mm tall.
That interesting. might try. Will get out the tape measure.
Bring nosy , did peruse the gas bottle cages of one of the biggest suppliers of liquid gas in our area , when in Sheerness one evening on the way back from a pretty awful meal.
Not a single solitary 4.5 k bottle to be seen.
Being the proud owner of couple of a couple of very empty but shiney 4.5K bottles, will contact this dealer and find out if this largesse applies to all and sundry ?

plumbob

Visit site
That interesting. might try. Will get out the tape measure.
Bring nosy , did peruse the gas bottle cages of one of the biggest suppliers of liquid gas in our area , when in Sheerness one evening on the way back from a pretty awful meal.
Not a single solitary 4.5 k bottle to be seen.
Being the proud owner of couple of a couple of very empty but shiney 4.5K bottles, will contact this dealer and find out if this largesse applies to all and sundry ?
It certainly should. If you struggle, give your empty to Parabordi. I got mine from about half a mile from his house. He knows where.

oldgit

Visit site
Local Calor agent in Sheerness will take my old 4.5k bottle , will replace with next size up and wants £31.50.
If it does not fit into gas locker it's going to supply the BBQ......
Update.....but it turns out nobody has any stock of the next size up including main dealer in Sittingbourne
..however main dealer does have some full 4.5k in stock, if I would like to drive 50 miles to collect one.
Declined their kind offer.
Arghh.....
You could not make it up.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Can you swap a 4.5Kg Butane for a 6Kg Propane?

When I tried a couple of years ago I could not find anywhere that would swap either of the small bottles for one 6Kg Propane. I even offered them three empty small bottles.

At the moment my 3.9Kg is full so not available to swap for a 6Kg but I still have the two empty 4.5 Butane bottles and would gladly swap both of them for a 6Kg Propane.

plumbob

Visit site
Can you swap a 4.5Kg Butane for a 6Kg Propane?

When I tried a couple of years ago I could not find anywhere that would swap either of the small bottles for one 6Kg Propane. I even offered them three empty small bottles.

At the moment my 3.9Kg is full so not available to swap for a 6Kg but I still have the two empty 4.5 Butane bottles and would gladly swap both of them for a 6Kg Propane.
The dealer said he will always swop cylinders in the same group. So in the case of butane that's the 4.5 for a 6. Propane is the same.

oldgit

Visit site
Still waiting to swap my very empty pristine 4.5k for a full 7k bottle.
Was told when calling back into a local outlet to collect a 7k bottle ,that the delivery had arrived sans any 7k bottles.o_O

ProDave

Visit site
Well a new twist to my search for a Calor cylinder size swap.

Today I was getting my two domestic use 47Kg Flogas Propane cylinders swapped, and I noticed the dealer had some Calor cylinders. So I mentioned to him my quest to swap one of my small ones for a 6Kg propane, and he just gave me a 6Kg Propane for the cost of the gas, not even asking for the small empty ones back.

As an aside, he had plenty of the small Flogas cylinders on the rack.

The 47Kg cylinders cost me £95 each, so that's £2.02 per Kg of gas, so to refill a 6Kg is £12.12 and to refill a 3.9 is £7.87 Not that I will be refilling the little one any more when it runs out.

oldgit

Visit site
Local dealer merely wanted £31 quid for gas.
Camping International wants
£37 quid
plus
£7.00 for bottle deposit and had good try at flogging me a new bottle connector.

ProDave

Visit site
It does show a strange business attitude where some most dealers just want to find a way to say no you can't have what you want, unless you pay some contrived way to pay extra.

It really is a breath of fresh air when you stumble on a dealer that actually wants to find a way to help you.

oldgit

Visit site
Just collected a full 7K bottle of butane and they took in an empty 4.5K.
£31.50.
If it goes into the boat gas locker fine, if not it's going to power the BBQ.
Taken about 3 years to get this far☹️
My bottle collection at the mo,...........
2 X empty French "Cubes."
1 X full 907.
1X empty 15K
1 X empty 4.5K
Suggestions 🤔

Last edited: