Calor 4.5 Butane discontinued

ms1

Visit site
With limited gas locker space I was wondering what Thames cruisers plan to do to overcome this. Calor suggest using 7kg, and I certainly cannot use one in my locker . it just isn't big enough. Your solutions much appreciated.

VicS

Visit site
With limited gas locker space I was wondering what Thames cruisers plan to do to overcome this. Calor suggest using 7kg, and I certainly cannot use one in my locker . it just isn't big enough. Your solutions much appreciated.
Buy a largercylinder [eg 15kg ) and refill your smaller one(s) from it. The technique has been discussed several times on the PBO forum and within the last few days I have itemised the bits and pieces needed.

oldgit

Visit site

......just been down this path, nearly went for the Safefill bottle.
Then discovered that Morrisons will no longer be supplying LPG to fill Safefill bottles on their forecourts next year.
Has now purchased very cheaply all the bits to decant from a big bottle of Butane kept at home for the BBQ to the Le Cube bottle system on my boat.
Did have a natter with the owner of a vehicle gas conversion company about what the hell to do about the withdrawal of the Calor 4.5 & 3.9 bottles.
He basically stated that decanting from big to small bottles has been going on "unofficially" for years in the golf buggy world and other types of LPG powered stuff.

oldgit

Visit site
We use CampingGaz 907 bottles, a bit more expensive but small locker friendly.

Got a full one of those and fully intend emptying it, it certainly will not get refilled.
Refill 907 bottle £25 -35.00 it contains less than 3 litres of gas.
3 litres of LPG from Morrisons is around £3.00.
Or have I missed something ?

Chris_d

Visit site
Got a full one of those and fully intend emptying it, it certainly will not get refilled.
Maybe it burns slower or we eat out too much :) but we get about 2 years out of a bottle.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
......t decanting from big to small bottles has been going on "unofficially" for years in the golf buggy world and other types of LPG powered stuff.

I did wonder if this was why Calor were withdrawing this range of refills. Someone else nicking their profits?

Also it is dangerous to fill more than 80% so accurate scales needed.

oldgit

Visit site
Rumours that some enterprising entrepreneurs are already offering an unofficial fill up service of your bottle (any size) for a lot less dosh than doing the bottle swap fandango at your Calor dealer and no £5.00 bottle rental swizz ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a la Flogas.
While you wait, they have the proper liquid gas pumps .

st599

Visit site

£25 for a 907?? They were over £50 on the south coast last summer.

The appliances apparently work with either although Butane stores slightly more energy than propane.

Some appliances can but they normally run at different pressures, so you may need a different regulator for each. I wouldn't assume any appliance is suitable without investigating

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
You will need a different regulator because the bottle threads are different.

Good to check it and make sure if you go from Butane 28Mb to Propane 37Mb that the flames don't lift off and blow out on appliances.

As for the refilling thing Calor do strongly claim that they own the bottles. They even say they have some previous case law to prove this.

It's going to be interesting to watch because the little Calor bottles will be around for a while longer and someone will be filling them.

Poecheng

Visit site
As for the refilling thing Calor do strongly claim that they own the bottles. They even say they have some previous case law to prove this.

It's going to be interesting to watch because the little Calor bottles will be around for a while longer and someone will be filling them.
I would love to know what precisely Calor's claim would be (assuming they somehow got evidence that their bottles were being refilled).
They may have had a contract with some of us a million years ago but very unlikely they have any database of who they have such contracts with (or they ought not to insist on the bottle holder having to prove the paperwork before giving a refund) and most of us have bottles that have no link to that first-hired bottles. My two bottles came with the latest boat and are not contractually related to any bottle I might have bought 30 years ago (I don't think I did).
So if not in contract, I cannot readily see what tort exists. If they claim and established rights of ownership, that would simply permit them to take back the bottles but doesn't stop you filling them whilst you have them. Are they going to take out thousands of small claims for ownership? - never. They have no idea who has these bottles and no means of finding out.
They might have been able to go against businesses refilling but, as far as individuals are concerned I think it may be like saying don't watch the TV without a licence because we have TV detector vans. It is an empty threat but in Calor's case even the threat has no teeth.

oldgit

Visit site
A curious apathy about this, suspect due to death by attrition, probably tens thousands of low use gas bottles out there yet to need replacing.
Tried to start a one of those Winge -a Thon in Parliament thingies.
Got the ball rolling but failed to pass first hurdle of 15 ? folks interested. :(

oldgit

Visit site
"£25 for a 907?? They were over £50 on the south coast last summer. "

...........did see those sort of prices mentioned but how can £3.00 worth of gas ,probably half that at commerical rates, become £50.00 ?

st599

Visit site
"£25 for a 907?? They were over £50 on the south coast last summer. "

...........did see those sort of prices mentioned but how can £3.00 worth of gas ,probably half that at commerical rates, become £50.00 ?
Supply and demand. They were in such short supply that rumours of bottles were leading to queues at fuel pontoons.

They started at about £35 last April. By August Cowes were charging £57.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Now we know Calor are discontinuing them, I have two spare empty 4.5Kg butane cylinders which anyone in the highlands is free to collect if they can find a use for them.

I had been hanging onto them in the hope one day of persuading Calor to swap one for a 6Kg Propane, but that is not going to happen now.

Whaup367

Visit site
Now we know Calor are discontinuing them, I have two spare empty 4.5Kg butane cylinders which anyone in the highlands is free to collect if they can find a use for them.

I had been hanging onto them in the hope one day of persuading Calor to swap one for a 6Kg Propane, but that is not going to happen now.

I would disagree- until recently they were claiming that supply issues meant they would only swap like for like but with the 4.5s being dropped they are now saying they will support exchanges for bigger cylinders. IMHO it would be worth trying again.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I would disagree- until recently they were claiming that supply issues meant they would only swap like for like but with the 4.5s being dropped they are now saying they will support exchanges for bigger cylinders. IMHO it would be worth trying again.
Yes, what I really want is another 6Kg propane, but last time I asked they would give nothing at all back for any of my 3 small cylinders and wanted to charge full hire charge for a new 6Kg. I ranted at the time that such a stupid policy was adding to the "shortage" of cylinders.

I will definitely try again. Perhaps just take a small empty for a refill without letting on I know they are no longer available and see what they offer.

Hadenough

Visit site
Yes, what I really want is another 6Kg propane, but last time I asked they would give nothing at all back for any of my 3 small cylinders and wanted to charge full hire charge for a new 6Kg. I ranted at the time that such a stupid policy was adding to the "shortage" of cylinders.

I will definitely try again. Perhaps just take a small empty for a refill without letting on I know they are no longer available and see what they offer.
I swapped 3x 3.9kg propanes for 3x 6kg propanes at my local Ipswich supplier without any issues.