Cake and Shortbread Etiquette

tcm

Visit site
I would like to hear your expert opinions regarding the serving of cake and shortbread on board.

I always though that shortbread somehow more provincial, but it seems there are high quality brands (in tins, especially) that have proven me wrong, and shortbread may be making a comeback. Is that right?

Also, if i served shortbread - would that be tsk, very non-U when i really should have served cake with afternoon tea? Or both?

Cakewise, i assume it can't very well be chocolate unless at a children's tea-party, so whilst aboard surely some sort of ballast-like dundee cake is required? Homemade or bought. though? Can i just ignore the cake option and get any shortbread in a tartan tin?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Who cares what you serve as long as you serve up grub and it's free. Personally I prefer a sausage sandwich but then I have style.

Oen

Visit site
Now, if I could only find it, I used (when a schoolboy) to have a book entitled 'The Shortbread Eating Primer'. Well, actually, it started out as the 'The Shorter Latin Primer', but if you picture the title, laid out on four separate lines, you'll realise that it was a simple task with an ink pen to make the alteration. That aside, I've always thought that a nice moist sponge was the thing. Shortbread to be served only if genuinely posh and made north of the border, and at least one Chentleman aboard.

Nautorius

Visit site
Only Serve Cake if it is a) Hiomemade, b) from Harrods, c) served with lashings of Cylon Tea.

Only Serve Shortbread if you have Scottish on board or northeners who think they are posh. Best to serve with lashings of John Smiths.

Personnaly I like to serve Champers and strawberries with Cucumber Sandwiches......nah. I serve Beer, Wine, Guiness, Pimms (in Season) and lots of Salt and Vineger twirls from Sainsbury! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Then again I have a real boat not one of these rotting wooden monstrosities /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul