Cabin floor make over?

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Not sure what to do instead, but I think the white floor gets dirty very quickly and never looked very appealing. It's also not straight in all places, I have a few curved bits near the hull of the boat. Until now I threw some removeable carpets on top, but that is not a great solution really.

What flooring is affordable and looks fine? I heard cork is ok? Eva foam teak stuff? Marine ply? Someone said felt backed carpet with doube sided tape? Not sure about any of those options.

fearmhuir

Visit site
Not sure what to do instead, but I think the white floor gets dirty very quickly and never looked very appealing. It's also not straight in all places, I have a few curved bits near the hull of the boat. Until now I threw some removeable carpets on top, but that is not a great solution really.

What flooring is affordable and looks fine? I heard cork is ok? Eva foam teak stuff? Marine ply? Someone said felt backed carpet with doube sided tape? Not sure about any of those options.
I made a template for my floor, took it to my local carpet supplier. He cut to size, bound the edges, and I then laid and secured it with these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/850-8-9-Ve...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2EMKVSX8TAEXI
Also used this underneath to to stop slippage:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rug-Anti-Slip-Underlay-Mat,Multipurpose/dp/B0D2QWR3GF/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3QZE6UPDHVT0L&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.kCrN7mhfHivnkSQm4Zn3fxx-yBcACY9PO45lZEuXCtcwfSJpeXQXFDeGmAgJKnHpqYgPilGJTZ4Bo_kuW19hsldjqfkmyq5YEZHr7VHZAx_Iz-aoWkv1IuHMLvt64xIO9JtOrbYl9u5K7Irb0KpQsMDrZFc7p8FjMdFJRRTIxS7J_8sWVXI6J8ZVo1sl10_18mawTKrDUNTqBm5s5y9cx77b4FdAeL7oZIXm3JjicwiHVks1kf63V_rSUWCmwpiFmKplBb8MIcHD0fMObEEIJcCMRKhMZ0t4mDNWgNC3dcw.CcE0JICdA9W-Ror2nQghuqNYbJWbIoW1nXLF2NdG6bI&dib_tag=se&keywords=non+slip+under+carpet&qid=1726693900&sprefix=non+slip+under+carpet,aps,302&sr=8-15

PCUK

Visit site
Vinyl floor covering looks good. You could use 4mm ply with a teak face. Use a router to cut the caulking lines. Looks fantastic if done well. Seal with Burgess wood sealer for a non slip finish.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Vinyl floor covering looks good. You could use 4mm ply with a teak face. Use a router to cut the caulking lines. Looks fantastic if done well. Seal with Burgess wood sealer for a non slip finish.
You mean like this? 2008_Regal_2665_Commodore__97129.jpg

I made a template for my floor, took it to my local carpet supplier. He cut to size, bound the edges, and I then laid and secured it with these:

So what kind of carpet do you have then?

johnalison

Visit site
Although a stripy wooden floor looks classy and should wear well, a carpet can also look good if well fitted. The best finishing touch for a carpet is to have the edges sewn. When we replaced ours I bought some good bathroom carpet and found a ‘little man’ who bound the edges for a reasonable price.

greeny

Visit site

EVA foam teak sheets. Looks nice, relatively cheap and cut and fit like a carpet. Can be glued down or use other type mechanical fixings. velcro pads, press dot canvas type fixings, screw and cup washers, etc etc. Depends how much you need/want to lift it.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
EVA foam teak sheets. Looks nice, relatively cheap and cut and fit like a carpet. Can be glued down or use other type mechanical fixings. velcro pads, press dot canvas type fixings, screw and cup washers, etc etc. Depends how much you need/want to lift it.
I just want something nice that will withstand weather in the meds, needs less maintenance and is not an issue getting wet. My current loose carpet gets all soggy with water (d'uh) but it's combersome to dry it in wet weather. I do like the idea of a carpet under my feet, but I also shy away from it because even though dry carpet is the best, wet carpet is the worst. Especially when you can't remove it. But might just be the type of carpet one uses? Not sure if short hair carpets have the same issues.

I just want it to look nice, feel nice and be practical and cheap. Oh boy, I have some demands, eh? lol

I like the idea of the eva teak stuff, but i am not sure if it would look good on the curved bits on the hull? I've only ever seen it on flat, even ground.

lustyd

Visit site
Robbins timber do a ply with teak and holly facing that’s not overly expensive. I think it was about 150 a sheet when I looked and the 46 foot boat I was buying would have needed two sheets. Obviously some work involved but not too pricey

Concerto

Visit site
Flotex carpet (in roll form not tiles) is very good in a marine environment. Not cheap but gives good grip with a soft feel to walk one and does not hold water. The only thing you have to watch is if water gets under the carpet, this needs to be dried off to protect the floor not the carpet. Flotex has been used in car showrooms, so can stand a lot of punishment.

Flotex Flocked Flooring | Forbo Flooring Systems

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Paint/flowcoat?

You could even get creative: https://www.moma.org/artists/4675 ;0)
No, I don't want to just paint it. It doesn't look nice.
Bears have more claws than just 3 and that would be nice to sit on but not to walk on
Don't shame misfigured bears. Some humans don't have 10 fingers either.
Flotex carpet (in roll form not tiles) is very good in a marine environment. Not cheap but gives good grip with a soft feel to walk one and does not hold water. The only thing you have to watch is if water gets under the carpet, this needs to be dried off to protect the floor not the carpet. Flotex has been used in car showrooms, so can stand a lot of punishment.

Flotex Flocked Flooring | Forbo Flooring Systems
That's something new that I haven't heard before. But it's just a brand isn't it and essentially the same as vinyl flooring?