BVI or Guadeloupe?

tcm

Visit site
having done the BVI a bit, we planned to go to Antigua and sail to sort-of Guadeloupe and islands around for a change. But having booked it, i have been advised by a friend that it is a bit of a dump, riddled with flies, no lovely beaches and not at all as nice as the BVI. Also, raggy-resistant wife likes flat seas not like those waves out at the back of Peter Island away from the shelter of a land mass. But is prepared for compromise if it is worth it, and esp if the food thereabouts is frenchish rather than rubbishy yank burgers and fries as in BVI.

I can change it at minimal cost, like 20 quid. What does the panel advise? I don't need to go to places (eg S America) just cos they are interetsing, if they are simultaneously risky of being a nasty.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Antigua/Guadeloupe definitely isn't such nice, easy picturesque sailing as BVI. Harbours are further apart, so passages are longer, but there are still interesting off-shore islets to visit, the 'Saints', Marie-Galante, Fajou. These islands are not as geared to yottie charter tourism either, with the cleaned up beaches, colourful beach bars etc. But I don't think that makes them a dump, though Pointe a Pitre is scruffy near the marina.

There is a lot more of interest ashore, specially on Guadeloupe, with its spectacular hard-wood jungle and volcano in the National Park. Food and culture is decidedly French/Creole, and a good bit cheaper than BVI.

While I'd recommend BVI for a first visit if you've been there before this would be an interesting change.

wpsalm

Visit site
Guadeloupe is ok for stop over the main harbour point au pete is a bit industrial but ok for provisioning and a night out , I like the little is. of marie galant hardly anyone goes there so you might have the entire anchorage to yourself and its very quiet and pastoral good for walks . and the local rum is reputed to be the best in the world.. also its just a day sail to Dominica which is less than fully developed black sand beaches, mostly freindly people fishing and farming.the tourist industry is small and freindly ..very diferent from the BVI

<hr width=100% size=1>

kesey

Visit site
how about the Grenadines? From Grenada on up is lovely. Nice sailing, and only the occasional wobbly bits. Great places to visit: Mayreau, Tobago Cays, Bequia.

No problem with flies or boat-boys. The Moorings have a new base in Canouan, saves the trip up from Grenada.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kesey on 15/05/2003 14:55 (server time).</FONT></P>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
well in went to guadeloupe.
Isles des Saintes to the south is a destination for day trippewrs and there is not much there but it is picturesque.
the marina is ok in guadeloupe but we pulled into main port by dinghy cos we was parked on other side of the road bridge
there were rats prostitutes and drug dealers.
the eastern sidde has a marina which looked ok, we anchored out cos it was small and only wanted some food.
pigeon island nice to look at but the real action is under the sea.

personally i vowed not to go back.
PLUS
i fancy the BVI's /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

snowleopard

Visit site
imho, the isles des saintes are one of the gems of the caribbean, bourg des saintes is a pretty little town with nice places to eat, isle des cabrits is deserted and has a nice anchorage where you can snorkel & be sure of seeing the flying gurnard (fish with wings). we enjoyed the night passage through the riviere salee though i guess charter firms forbid that. as has been said, pointe a pitre is a bit of a dump. i believe the interior of basse terre is good.

to the north, antigua has lots of anchorages including gt bird island which has fabulous snorkelling. english harbour is worth a visit as is deep bay. facilities at jolly harbour are good including free swimming pool.

while in the area, don't miss montserrat, a half day taxi tour gets you close enough to the volcano for good views.

to the south is dominica, generally underrated, fabulous rain forest, good beaches and the indian river is not to be missed. it's very 3rd world but that's part of its charm.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
I'd go to Guadeloupe, the wummin hae bigger melons and arnie frigid british bitches.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
the charters are forbidden to land on Montserrat and have to sail to the north
which is a pain cos it celebrates paddy's day
read the road to Mccarthy by Pete Mccarthy. very interesting.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Anchorite

Visit site
Re: No flies on me!

Lived in Guadeloupe for a year, then charter for 6 months Guadeloupe-Saintes-
Dominica-Martinique. These are all non-tippy beam reaches. Last two times back
to P-a-P chartered Jeanneau 47's: from the Saintes across to Dominica at 8
knots+ under genny alone...you'd have to be an incorrigible stinky to not prefer
this to 30 knots + bumps. Never been bitten on board...but never go ashore in the
evening without trousers: tiny (invisible) midges ravage (only) the legs. Fill up
everything for 2 weeks at the marina supermarket (staples, wine champagne water
in bottles), you're leaving MacDonald's kingdom behind. You'll find no taps (there are no marinas till Martinique): bring 2 - better 4 heavy handlines, you'll catch
enough to eat. Can't understand Sailbad - was Jimi's fruitshop closed??/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

jonhenderson

Visit site
I'll keep my response short!

Have done BVI's, Antigua and Guadaloupe. If the missus preders flat water it's BVIs every time for me, but aim for a quiter season to avoid as many of the sceptics as possible!

I was there last June and loved it - Anagada was beautiful, especially the lobster on the beach. Mmmmm, lobster.

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: Caribean or Cymru?

<Also, raggy-resistant wife likes flat seas > better take your name of the Peelyweely waiting list then, although weather is better in wales and the flies avoid the place, can't think why:))

<hr width=100% size=1>