Buying Abroad

Greg2

Visit site
I am thinking of buying a boat from Holland but I have no idea if there are any implications with Customs/Tax/VAT etc or with future sale (i.e. documentation) of the boat. It will be second hand so my guess is that VAT isn't a problem. Anyone got any idea of what may be involved?

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Lots of dudes here have experience of buying in Clogland. MikeT and Pheran for starters. I am not going to add my 4p worth because they can answer better.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

G

I Bought from a broad once in Germany. After half an hour she said how about zee marks I said 10 out of 10. And I P----sssd off rather quickly.

On a serious note I purchased my boat from Spain. As long as you go through a reputable broker you shouldn`t have a problem and provided its backed up by vat paid documents should be ok. One tip if you find one you must insist that after survey monies are paid etc that the owne clears the vessel of his belongings and hands keys to broker. I.E. No final fling etc.The times damages are caused at this time is quite amazing and of course they are reluctant to disclose same

Good Luck .

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site
I used the Broom agent in Lelystad, DeVaart Yachting, and he made it all very easy.
Main thing is proof of VAT paid in the EU. Either original invoice (preferably not copy), or receipt from VAT authority where VAT was paid.
All boats in Holland are registered, and must be de-registered before you take posession.
The finance is as for any transaction abroard. I arranged the whole thing in sterling and got the broker to take the chance. He did actually benefit slightly.
Survey can be arranged locally. They are appointed by court and are relatively expensive. Mine was £600 on my Broom 37.
The whole experience was very pleasant and very easy. Don't confuse brokers over there with ours over here (with a few exceptions). Arnold at DeVaart picked us up from the airport, spent all day with us and returned us to the airport by which time we had agreed everything.
Incidentally, many of the boats kept in Holland are owned by Germans. They keep their boats beautifully and are generally very highly spec'd.

If the boat needs work doing have it done over there. Cheaper and, more importantly, it will be done quickly, efficiently and right. Yes, it can happen! But not usually over here.

Good luck.
PM me if you wish.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
Use a goiod agent to buy the boat from, and use a uk based marine mortage so they can sort out all they want: a good survey,a clear title .

the reason I took a marine mortage is that they are buying the boat and not you ie they are risking their monies. after six monthes or more you can pay back with no penalties, but in the mean time if an owner suddleny shows up ie the boat was stollen ... Not your problem !

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

pheran

Visit site
I am in the process of buying a boat in Holland (survey due tomorrow) and intend keeping it there for the next 2 or 3 years at least. Peeps on this and other forums have been unbelievably helpful - and patient - in providing me with advice on the subject. MikeT has answered your initial question above but if there are others, PM me with details and I will happily pass on any relevant information I have been given. Good Luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfm

Visit site
Hang on mainship tom!

Tom, I think that's completely incorrect. If you buy a boat with a mortgage and do not get good title, it's your problem. You still owe the bank the money borrowed. OK, the lender has got no proper security any more, but security is only about where they stand in the Q to get paid if you go bankrupt, it has nothing to do with whether you owe them the money (that would be limited recourse finacing, which the banks in the boat market dont offer). So, if you are good for the money (eg equity in your house, or whatever) they will make you payeven though you are ripped off and boatless

Or have I missed something?

<hr width=100% size=1>